My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

2nd DTR1000 4 days old and stuck on nearly ready

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pansy

I bought a DTR1000 from Humax Direct which just kept freezing and dying. Eventually, after days of emailing backwards and forwards, it was believed to be faulty. The replacement was delivered on Wednesday and it was working great until tonight. First it wouldn't respond to remote and after various switching on/off plugging in/out sessions it is now stuck on 'nearly ready'. This is the second weekend I've wasted trying to get a humax box to just work! I don't think I can stand another disappointment and really only wanted a decent PVR. I decided on this one as the price was good and I thought Humax were reliable! Will they give me a refund or will I have to accept a third box? I'm new on here so please be kind...

| Sat 24 Jan 2015 22:53:07 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Refurbs or brand new?

| Sat 24 Jan 2015 22:55:21 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I would think you have a good case for a full refund under the Sale of Goods Act. See
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_what_you_can_do_about_faulty_goods_e/faulty_goods_-_if_you_want_your_money_back.htm

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 says that any goods you buy from a trader must be:

of satisfactory quality
    fit for purpose
    match any description given.

If they aren’t, you normally have the right to return the goods and get all your money back. This is called a full refund. A full refund includes the cost of all postage and packing.

This right only lasts for a very short time after you buy the goods. You’re allowed a short time to examine them and try them out, but you must tell the trader about the problem as soon as you find out about it.

A box that's delivered on Wednesday and fails on the following Sunday is obviously not of satisfactory quality, and the fact that it's the second faulty box just makes your case more solid. I'd suggest you contact Humax tomorrow and explain what happened and tell them that you are requesting a refund under the Sale of Goods Act.

| Sat 24 Jan 2015 23:16:26 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

pansy

Thanks for quick replies. It's what Humax Direct call a Grade A with 12 month warranty. I suppose that means refurb. Does that make a difference?

| Sun 25 Jan 2015 0:11:08 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

pansy - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for quick replies. It's what Humax Direct call a Grade A with 12 month warranty. I suppose that means refurb. Does that make a difference?

I wouldn't think so. A box shouldn't fail so quickly, whether new or refurbished. Your rights under the Sale of Goods Act are quite separate from your warranty.

| Sun 25 Jan 2015 0:22:38 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

pansy

Thanks for the advice. Will see how things are in the morning. Can't imagine it will magically be 100% though. Just as a note, during the various switching on/off etc., the screen turned bright pink a couple of times. One when the TV guide was a ghostly blue over the top of it. I'm sick to death of it all to be honest. Knowing me I'll probably have some lovely nightmares about pink boxes!

| Sun 25 Jan 2015 0:32:03 #6 |
  7. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

The DTR-T1000 is well known for getting stuck in nearly ready. If there are any problems with disk communication it won't boot fully. Because of this, several different faults can cause the same symptoms. You might get it working with a maintenance mode factory reset (keep recordings). I have observed a fault whereby the main board does not regulate the power supply to the disk correctly, occasionally cutting power at the wrong time. This causes the symptoms described and makes the box unreliable. If this is the issue the box will need replacing.

Humax Direct are undergoing a revamp and are currently not taking orders. Because of this I think they are more likely to refund rather than replace.

| Sun 25 Jan 2015 4:33:28 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

pansy - 9 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the advice. Will see how things are in the morning. Can't imagine it will magically be 100% though. Just as a note, during the various switching on/off etc., the screen turned bright pink a couple of times. One when the TV guide was a ghostly blue over the top of it. I'm sick to death of it all to be honest. Knowing me I'll probably have some lovely nightmares about pink boxes!

That sounds like HDMI handshaking problems - another old familiar story with T1000 boxes.

If you want to ask for a refund, don't do any resets or changes to your setup. Don't even use it - just notify Humax, in writing (email) so you've got the start of a paper trail. Then pack up the box, ready for return. That way, you make it clear that you don't accept this faulty box.

| Sun 25 Jan 2015 9:46:57 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Pansy - on that consumer advice website, there's an example of the kind of letter you could send to HumaxDirect to complain about faulty goods.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_what_you_can_do_about_faulty_goods_e/complaint_about_faulty_goods.htm

As it says on the website, that's just an example. It would need to be modified to fit your specific circumstances, such as the fact that it was the second faulty unit they had sent you.

The Citizens Advice Bureau, who run the website, can help you with the wording of a letter, if you decide to go for a refund. The number is 03454 04006. Mon - Fri 9 to 5.

See http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_protection_for_the_consumer_e/consumer_citizens_advice_consumer_service_e/if_you_need_more_help.htm

| Sun 25 Jan 2015 11:22:55 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

pansy

You are all so helpful on here. It's nice to know that there are people around who are willing to help people like me!

I've decided to pack it away in it's little bed and am working on an email requesting a full refund. Unless they are prepared to swap for a better model of course. The last recorder I had was a simple Logik refurb twin tuner and cost me £50. It was a little work horse and lasted 3 years.

If I do get a refund I think I'll forget on demand and just go for a new straightforward TT recorder. Anyone got any recommendations?

| Sun 25 Jan 2015 14:23:17 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.