My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

9200T poor picture quality (CRT tv)

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

alan997

Just got a 9200T after years with a Digihome PVR, after reading loads of reviews saying Humax were the business, and first impressions are a bit disappointing.

In particular, the picture quality just isn't as good as my old machine. It's not terrible, it's not unwatchable by a long chalk, but it's just not very good. It shows particularly on text: all the wording on the guide, eg, is just a bit blurred. Far from unreadable, but it's not crisp and sharp.

Is this just to be expected? Or is there something I can do about it? I've checked for a software update, but it says I have the latest installed (PGXTF 1.00.23).

In case it helps, I'm running it direct into a (old-style, CRT) Sony Trinitron 32" widescreen, using scart & an aerial lead. Any help much appreciated.

| Mon 1 Apr 2013 0:39:01 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

alan997 - 7 hours ago  » 
    In particular, the picture quality just isn't as good as my old machine. It's not terrible, it's not unwatchable by a long chalk, but it's just not very good.

Under Menu>Preferences>TV-SCART is it set to RGB? Have you got the TV plugged into the TV SCART rather than the VCR SCART? Display quality should be good.

| Mon 1 Apr 2013 8:38:12 #2 |
  3. Biggles

Biggles

special member

alan997 - 9 hours ago  » 
    In case it helps, I'm running it direct into a (old-style, CRT) Sony Trinitron 32" widescreen, using scart & an aerial lead. Any help much appreciated.

Are you watching TV from the Humax using the TV's UHF tuner? That will give the worst quality and is most likely to show blurred text. Unless there is still analogue being transmitted in your area there is no point in connecting the Humax to the TV with an aerial lead, remove it.

If you've only just got the 9200 (where from?) then I suggest you do a Default Setting, that will set all video settings to the most useful setting. Connect the Humax's TV SCART to the TV's SCART that will accept an RGB input, most likely AV1 but check in the TV's manual, that will give you the best picture quality.

As a rule of thumb it's best to switch the TV ON first and when it's ON switch the Humax ON. This should cause the TV to auto-switch to its SCART input rather than its internal analogue tuner.

| Mon 1 Apr 2013 10:38:43 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

alan997

Thanks a lot - really appreciate it. I'll try all suggestions and let you know how it goes. Incidentally, (where from?) - ebay, of course! It's where I buy *everything*!

(Incidentally #2, I already solved one of my glitches with the help of this forum, last night....couldn't get the thing to record series. Then I found a message saying setting to anything other than zero padding disables series link. So I tried that & bingo. Seems a bit strange, but it worked.)

| Mon 1 Apr 2013 12:05:32 #4 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Do a Default Setting then the machine will be set up and working as Humax intended, including the global padding setting of On Time. After the default setting check for channels starting at channel number 800, if you've got any then follow my Manual Search instructions.

| Mon 1 Apr 2013 12:46:32 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.