My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

9300-t hard disk replacement

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hi, this is my first post. I've recently bought a s/h 9300-t with 160GB disk. I'd like to go up to 320GB and there are disks available at reasonable cost. Has anyone experience of doing this and if so, what's the procedure with the disk in terms od partitioning and formatting?

| Mon 10 Mar 2014 13:55:12 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

batteryman - 2 hours ago  » 
    I've recently bought a s/h 9300-t with 160GB disk. I'd like to go up to 320GB and there are disks available at reasonable cost. Has anyone experience of doing this and if so, what's the procedure with the disk in terms od partitioning and formatting?

It is straightforward and there is nothing to do with partitioning. When you switch the Humax on after fitting the new drive it will detect a blank disk and put up a prompt offering to format it. Note that hard drives should be of a type designed for use in a PVR often denoted as AV drives.

| Mon 10 Mar 2014 16:13:56 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

The manufacturer will recommend AV drives, but any low power, green, intelligent power drive will do. The important thing is how much power it uses and you don't want a 7200rpm speed or higher as it will use more power and generate more heat.
    Any slower 5900, 5400 etc. will do, I've never fitted an AV drive and never had any problems, 9200T still going strong at my brothers and my own 2TB hdrfoxt2 still going strong with over 22,600 hours, 1TB in a foxsat also with no problems.
    The AV drives tend to be stripped down standard drives, no error correction and less RAM, and are cheaper to supply to the manufacturer. They tend to be more expensive in the shops though, simple supply and demand.
    Martin's made a good point in his post:
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/upgrading-9300t
    that the 9300T can only hold 512 recordings no matter how big the drive is.
    500GB seems to be the cheapest available, just make sure you get a low power green slower type

| Mon 10 Mar 2014 17:55:34 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

damian - 54 minutes ago  » 
    The AV drives tend to be stripped down standard drives, no error correction and less RAM, and are cheaper to supply to the manufacturer.

I don't think no error correction is correct but there is less error correction; normal drives will show more stutter in playback when dealing with a marginal sector. Interesting though that you haven't seen any problems.

| Mon 10 Mar 2014 18:52:52 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Thanks for all the info. I looked in another 320GB 9300-t to identify the drive and searched for one; found identical product so will puchase that (less than 20 quid!). I also looked for the equivalent 500GB drive but they seem mor than double the cost. If anyone can steer me towards a good, low cost, new 500GB drive I'll consider using that one.

| Tue 11 Mar 2014 13:48:00 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi batteryman,

I had a quick look yesterday and couldn't see any 320GB's for less than around £45. I've seen some 'clean pull' for £25 inc. p&p, but without knowing the amount of hours it's been run for it's a gamble. If you can find a new one at less than £20 then well done, go for it, at the end of the day you know what's best for yourself.

| Tue 11 Mar 2014 16:30:01 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hi Damian

Thanks for the reply. Had another look after seeing the product code on the 160GB disk. Found 500GB for about £45.00 postage paid and the 320GB still available at about £25.00 postage paid, both new and unused. Presume they're old stock now out of favour with newer HD products needing much morage storage capacity but the 9300-T's SD recording means 320GB or 500GB is plenty for me. I'm currently testing my s/h 9300 and when I'm sure it's OK I'll choose and buy.

Now for another little sort out - my auntie's 9300-T won't hold the subtitles "ON" setting; it needs to be reste every time it's used. Time for another search on the forum and maybe another post.

| Thu 13 Mar 2014 11:02:38 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Follow-up to this post.

I bought a new Western Digital drive WD5000AVCS from dabs.com for £42.65 delivered by ordinary post. Took the old one out and fitted the new one - 4 screws holding the caddy to the 9300 casing and 4 screws holding the drive to the caddy with rubber washers. I've installed drives and other bits and pieces in PCs and my tip to avoid static is to wash your hands before you start and leave them a little damp (not wet!) and try not to touch the circuit boards or components (this is easy with a drive, just touch the alloy casing).

Connected the 9300 to the TV via HDMI and switched on the TV, plugged in the aerial to the 9300 then plugged into the mains and switched on. Got a screen message asking if I wanted to format a drive and pressed the OK button. After a couple of seconds I got the message format complete and the 9300 went into standby mode. Switched on the 9300 with the remote and found everything working; checked with a couple of trial recordings - one manual and one reserved from the programme guide - and everything was fine.

| Fri 21 Mar 2014 9:27:18 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.