My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

A couple of annoyances with HDR 1000S

(12 posts)
  1. black knight

black knight

special member

We've just purchased an HDR 1000S to replace our old Foxsat HDR in the bedroom. We (mostly) love the box, the picture quality is very good indeed and the other features mean it's a decent upgrade.

However there's a couple of things with this box that are becoming annoying. One is that it seems to boot up at around 4am every night, which usually wakes one of us up (the disk powering up is quite loud for light sleepers like us) and the scrolling text when watching a recording is also very distracting, when watching in the dark or dim light. It's not so much the scrolling itself as the text disappearing off the panel and then popping back up again before it starts scrolling once more that distracts your eye.

Is there a way to turn off the annoying scrolling, or do I have to take some electrical tape to the thing as I did with the old Foxsat's uber bright lcd panel? Also, is there any reason why the 1000S seems to boot up nightly compared to the Foxsat's once a week housekeeping? I don't really want to have to pull the plug every evening, but it's getting too much.

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 11:22:16 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Re scrolling - no settings available.

Re boot. You surprise me - the Foxsat boots nightly at, I think, 03:00 GMT. It is an essential part of the design which on this unit detects channel changes and carries out what is called "housekeeping".

The HDR-10x0S and HB-1000S have similar firmware to each other and from my observation of my HB-1000S it would appear that it only occasionally boots in the early hours. Unlike the Foxsat it does not have a housekeeping wakeup.

My HB-1000S is not often used and I had thought that perhaps the boot was needed for an EPG refresh.

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 11:51:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The HB-1000S boots nightly if paired with the app. I unpaired mine for that reason.

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 11:59:00 #3 |
  4. black knight

black knight

special member

I'm almost certain the Foxsat doesn't boot nightly. At least mine didn't, as we would have known about it. It's only since the 1000S has been installed that it's become a real problem.

I'm beginning to think I might have to swap it with the 2000T freeview box downstairs which isn't ideal, but there's no annoying LCD panel on the front of that and I don't believe it turns itself on during the night either. Shame.

Btw, Our 1000S isn't paired with the app, so that can be ruled out.

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 12:03:27 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

black knight - 11 minutes ago  » 
    I might have to swap it with the 2000T freeview box downstairs which isn't ideal, but there's no annoying LCD panel on the front of that and I don't believe it turns itself on during the night either.

The HDR-2000T boots during the night to do a software update check; I don't think it can be disabled.

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 12:17:38 #5 |
  6. black knight

black knight

special member

A software check every night?

I'd put the Foxsat back in, but we now want to be able to play third party video files through the box and of course that's unsupported.

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 12:19:53 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

black knight - 15 minutes ago  » 
    A software check every night?
    I'd put the Foxsat back in, but we now want to be able to play third party video files through the box and of course that's unsupported.

I think Martin missed the model on this thread? His posts refers to the HDR-2000T and he usually posts regarding terrestrial models.

I am certain that the Foxsat boots every night (unless it is powered up at 03:00 GMT)

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 12:38:18 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

REPASSAC - 1 minute ago  » 
    I think Martin missed the model on this thread?

Sorry? The OP said "to swap it with the 2000T freeview".

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 12:40:23 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 minute ago  » 

REPASSAC - 1 minute ago  » 
    I think Martin missed the model on this thread?

Sorry? The OP said "to swap it with the 2000T freeview".

Sorry I missed reading his second post.

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 12:42:32 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brocklebank

Scrolling Display

I agree with the comment made by black knight

Is there really no software solution to the scrolling display text?

| Sat 28 Mar 2015 13:56:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.