My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

A new free time feature

(9 posts)
  1. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

It seems we have a new feature in which we can now set recordings from our emails from Freesat. http://links.freesat.mkt5933.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MTE3ODkxMTES1&r=ODgwMTI1OTU5NjQS1&j=NDgzNTE0MzIwS0&mt=1&rt=0

It's a shame it's pretty much useless for most of us that have disabled the Freesat ID on the box due to the constant boot ups during standby.
    I wonder if we will ever have any customisable options as to how often it boots up?

| Mon 13 Apr 2015 12:00:39 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Yes, it's kind of remarkable how Freesat seem to carry on oblivious to the actual wishes of their audience. I for one have essentially given up on them and wait for the next advance in the TV technology before I buy again.
    In any event in my home we are largely now watching streamed series, Netflix etc. Live broadcasting is total junk.

| Mon 13 Apr 2015 20:24:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

If Freesat added an option to customise the frequency of checking, some users would choose the minimum (say, once a day) but still try to set a remote recording starting in a couple of hours. Complaints would ensue. From Freesat's point of view, not a good outcome.

| Tue 14 Apr 2015 9:51:22 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 3 minutes ago  » 
    If Freesat added an option to customise the frequency of checking, some users would choose the minimum (say, once a day) but still try to set a remote recording starting in a couple of hours. Complaints would ensue. From Freesat's point of view, not a good outcome.

Why is it not possible to warn that scheduled change will not take place due to next update being too late ? Surely the next scheduled check for recording schedule changes could be incorporated into the app.

An auto update period based on requirement would be even better.

| Tue 14 Apr 2015 9:58:39 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Logically, yes, but the end result would be the same - the recording wouldn't get set. Or am I misunderstanding your suggestion?

| Tue 14 Apr 2015 10:37:31 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 27 minutes ago  » 
    Logically, yes, but the end result would be the same - the recording wouldn't get set. Or am I misunderstanding your suggestion?

Unless it's possible to somehow remotely reset the interval when the box is known to be recording then yes the recording won't be made. However this could easily be made clear to users to set a refresh period consistant with their requirements. 15 minutes does seem excessively short. I wonder how many changes are set that are so close - not many I suspect.

| Tue 14 Apr 2015 11:11:07 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I'm only speculating, of course, about Freesat's possible reasoning, but perhaps they think failed attempts would put users off using the app - even when it's down to the user's own choice of settings. Freesat's priority being presumably the collection of data on viewing patterns, rather than avoiding all those unnecessary spin-ups.

The YouView app avoids the constant spin-ups by requiring the box to be left always in a very shallow standby state (practically full-on) in order to make use of remote recording. An even worse solution, for me, but it works for YouView's purposes.

| Tue 14 Apr 2015 11:34:54 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 41 seconds ago  » 
    I'm only speculating, of course, about Freesat's possible reasoning, but perhaps they think failed attempts would put users off using the app - even when it's down to the user's own choice of settings. Freesat's priority being presumably the collection of data on viewing patterns, rather than avoiding all those unnecessary spin-ups.
    The YouView app avoids the constant spin-ups by requiring the box to be left always in a very shallow standby state (practically full-on) in order to make use of remote recording. An even worse solution, for me, but it works for YouView's purposes.

I for one and judging by other postings only use the app as a remote control so at least for me the opposite is the result.

| Tue 14 Apr 2015 11:36:44 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 20 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 41 seconds ago  » 

I for one and judging by other postings only use the app as a remote control so at least for me the opposite is the result.

I also, but those of us using this forum are not necessarily typical. I'm guessing that a lot of Freesat users don't connect the frequent booting with their use of the app, and wouldn't care if they did.

| Tue 14 Apr 2015 12:03:50 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.