My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Remote not operating any functions

(40 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

westcandace

now remote not operating any functions. Batteries replaced no response

Admin edit: Thread title changed to some more appropriate.

| Thu 25 Sep 2014 12:29:35 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Dependant on remote in use:

1. Ensure you have pressed STB button - if remote has that button

or

2. Remote may have changed code, as witnessed by a couple of us.

Try reprogramming it.

With unit powered on and display on TV...

Press OK and Zero button on remote simultaneously, a message should appear on screen re remote code, if you have not changed it before then press 1 then OK.

| Thu 25 Sep 2014 12:44:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The number of users reporting this and very similar problems since the last s/w update seems significant to me. Twice since the update my almost 2 year old box has become completely unresponsive to the R/C, except for power button. When powered off/on from R/C again would not respond. I fixed it each time by completely cutting power to the box for about 1 min, reconnected and all was OK. Has that update made the box unstable?

| Thu 25 Sep 2014 16:43:48 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago  » 
    The number of users reporting this and very similar problems since the last s/w update seems significant to me. Twice since the update my almost 2 year old box has become completely unresponsive to the R/C, except for power button. When powered off/on from R/C again would not respond. I fixed it each time by completely cutting power to the box for about 1 min, reconnected and all was OK. Has that update made the box unstable?

If this is just after boot, I have the impression that sound and picture appear before the boot process is complete and a small wait will restore functionality.
    I also suspect that for example other remote keys are functional e.g. Volume. (Perhaps these are serviced by a NMI (non-maskable interrupt).

I do hope you put your unit in standby before pulling the power.
    Unlike you PC (if you have one) the unit is almost always writing to disk and you risk disk corruption (especially to the time-slip buffer).

| Thu 25 Sep 2014 18:59:49 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Yes I did notice that the volume control was still effective. Still it seems strangely coincidental that this is suddenly happening after a s/w update.
    As to...

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 
    I do hope you put your unit in standby before pulling the power.
    Unlike you PC (if you have one) the unit is almost always writing to disk and you risk disk corruption (especially to the time-slip buffer).

Did you have a glass of Cheval Blanc at hand when typing that?

| Thu 25 Sep 2014 21:11:26 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 16 hours ago  » 
    Did you have a glass of Cheval Blanc at hand when typing that?

Not at all. Live in small farming village with lots of vines around, so tend to drink the local wines most of the time. Whites from 1.20 (en vrac) Euro's a litre, reds a little more.
    For something a bit different I like a nice shiraz (managed to get a case of this cheap) - very full bodied.

Reread my post - seems fine to me, except could do with a comma or two.

| Fri 26 Sep 2014 13:53:13 #6 |
  7. Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Interesting! I bought a new box that exhibited exactly the same problem. Stuck with it for about a month, then concluded the box was faulty so I returned it for a replacement. The replacement, however, exhibits exactly the same problem, i.e. refuses (occasionally) to react to remote when first powered up. Only cure I have found is to switch off at the mains for an hour and try again. I am in the process of leaving it switched on at the mains permanently to see if that resolves the problem. This is definitely a firmware/software issue and not "IR interference" as suggested by Humax.

| Sun 19 Oct 2014 11:27:58 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Robin Hood - 1 hour ago  » 
    Interesting! I bought a new box that exhibited exactly the same problem. Stuck with it for about a month, then concluded the box was faulty so I returned it for a replacement. The replacement, however, exhibits exactly the same problem, i.e. refuses (occasionally) to react to remote when first powered up. Only cure I have found is to switch off at the mains for an hour and try again. I am in the process of leaving it switched on at the mains permanently to see if that resolves the problem. This is definitely a firmware/software issue and not "IR interference" as suggested by Humax.

I think the boot process is not complete when the home screen is displayed - I notice that it does take 10-15 seconds longer before the remote commands start to be serviced.

| Sun 19 Oct 2014 13:14:04 #8 |
  9. Robin Hood

Robin Hood

So it is bad programming! Is it not normal that as soon as the program screen is displayed, users will use the remote to select a program? I would certainly not expect the box to hang if the remote is used used too soon.

| Sun 19 Oct 2014 13:59:20 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Robin Hood - 17 minutes ago  » 
    So it is bad programming! Is it not normal that as soon as the program screen is displayed, users will use the remote to select a program? I would certainly not expect the box to hang if the remote is used used too soon.

I guess if would be quite easy to delay showing the picture for 15 secs.
    My unit does not hang - it just does not service the remote presses.

| Sun 19 Oct 2014 14:17:03 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.