My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Buying advice

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

briantho

Hi - I'm new here.

We have a little house in France with a two meter dish installed with which we have been getting excellent satellite reception for years. Connected to that we have an old Sky box with no recording features.

I’m looking for a tuner/recorder which I can manage remotely through the Internet connection that I already have in the house in France. By ‘manage’ I mean using a web browser anywhere in the world I would be able to select programmes scheduled for transmission some time in the next week as well as deleting recorded programmes.

Is there a particular box that I should be looking at that has a reasonable recording capacity?

Many thanks in advance for any help here. Brian in Provence.

| Mon 6 Apr 2015 10:17:31 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. The only box that springs to mind is a Foxsat-hdr with the custom firmware add on installed and using a dynamic dns service to remotely login to the web interface (if I remember correctly you need the Inadyn package installed). You would have to set a manual daily wake up period to access the box (No wake on lan capability). The freetime boxes have remote scheduling capability via a smartphone/tablet app, I don't know if this is IP region locked and if it is, if a smartdns server will allow it to work. Repessac may know. Note going down this route means the box repeatedly boots to check for schedule changes.

| Mon 6 Apr 2015 11:43:20 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi welcome to our forum. The only box that springs to mind is a Foxsat-hdr with the custom firmware add on installed and using a remember correctly you need the Inadyn package installed). You dynamic dns service to remotely login to the web interface (if I would have to set a manual daily wake up period to access the box (No wake on lan capability). The freetime boxes have remote scheduling capability via a smartphone/tablet app, I don't know if this is IP region locked and if it is, if a smartdns server will allow it to work. Repessac may know. Note going down this route means the box repeatedly boots to check for schedule changes.

Yes indeed, with the custom firmware you will need the Inadyn addon and a dynamic DNS service, unless you have a fixed IP (Free with some ISP's e.g. Free.fr).

I don't know for sure is on freetime units if the app is IP country restricted. I very much doubt it (Would not work for UK residents on holiday / Business trips). However I also doubt that a smartDNS would enable a IP restricted IP to work as I believe setup is required at the server end.

| Mon 6 Apr 2015 13:20:17 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

briantho

Wow - many thanks for all this info. I'll have to do some research on the terms etc. The Swisscom box I have installed at home (near Geneva) is completely 'programmable' over the Internet using a smartphone/ipad app and I suppose I had hoped to find a tuner for France that would be as simple to use. Oh well...

| Tue 7 Apr 2015 9:26:37 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.