My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

Can't change channels when recording

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukserendipity

Hi. Not that technically minded! We have a Fox T2 HD and I have just got a portable hard drive which I have plugged into the usb slot - allowed the Humax to format it, said yes to it being for recordings. Great - can record programs at the touch of a button. Only problem is - we can't watch any other channel! If you try to change channels it comes up with a box saying you can't change channel when recording. The only exception to this is one or two channels either side of the one being recorded. All other channels can't be accessed. I'm sure it's not meant to do this! Any suggestions please. Thanks.

| Mon 23 Dec 2013 13:25:08 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The box only has a single tuner. While recording only channels on the same multiplex as the channel you are recording will be usable.

Normally Freeview pvrs have two tuners (Like your boxes big brother - The HDR FOX T2 )

http://www.dtg.org.uk/work/dtt_channels.html

The list is a bit out of date, depending on your transmitter you may also have COM 7

74 CBeebies HD, 106 BBC Four HD, 107 BBC News HD, 108 Al Jazeera HD,

Welcome to the forum

| Mon 23 Dec 2013 13:43:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ukserendipity - 18 minutes ago  » 
    I'm sure it's not meant to do this!

Why do you say that? The Humax HD-FOX T2 has only a single tuner so when recording that tuner is in use and the only channels that you will be able to watch are ones from the same multiplex. To see which channels are on each multiplex see Link to DTG web site. The HDR-FOX T2 and the HDR-2000T both have twin tuners and so you can watch any channel whilst recording one channel; limitations apply when recording two channels.

| Mon 23 Dec 2013 13:47:51 #3 |
  4. brian

brian

special member

The HD-FOX T2 is a single tuner Freeview HD receiver so when recording, you should be able to watch any channels from the multiplex containing the channel being recorded. A list of multiplexes and the channels on each can be found at
    http://www.dtg.org.uk/work/dtt_channels.html

Edit: Martin beat me to it.

| Mon 23 Dec 2013 13:51:03 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

ukserendipity - 47 minutes ago  » 
    The only exception to this is one or two channels either side of the one being recorded. All other channels can't be accessed. I'm sure it's not meant to do this! Any suggestions please. Thanks.

There is a different channel change technique which will allow you to change channels to any other channel on the same mux with ease.
    While recording and watching live TV, press the OK button. This will display a list of TV channels with the available ones in bold compared to the unavailable channels. Scroll down the list until you have reached a suitable channel in bold then press OK again.

Another technique you could use is where a programme is being broadcast in HD and standard definition. Choose the one to record that shares a mux with the channel you are most likely to want to watch while recording. You’ll need to consult the link that Brian, Martin Liddle and grahamlthompson posted to be able do this.

| Mon 23 Dec 2013 14:11:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukserendipity

Thanks! I think I get that - am limited by having only one tuner, but might be able to watch programs provided by different sources (or not on the same multiplex). Have bookmarked the list thanks. I don't suppose there is a work around is there? Our TV is quite old and not HD but do get the HD channels listed on the Humax, so if I recorded BBC1 HD for example, could I then watch all the normal BBC channels?

| Mon 23 Dec 2013 14:18:00 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

If you record BBC1 HD , then your choice is BBC2 HD, ITV HD, C4 HD, and CBBC/BBC3 HD

If you were recording BBC1 then any standard definition BBC programme will be watchable, or for BBC Radio listenable.

| Mon 23 Dec 2013 14:21:09 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukserendipity

Thanks. I really do need an idiot guide! So - if I'm recording a BBC channel I can only watch BBC channels. If I'm recording an ITV channel I can only watch ITV channels. Is that right? And what happens with things like Yesterday, Drama etc. And CBeebies is not classed as a BBC channel then?

| Mon 23 Dec 2013 14:29:20 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ukserendipity - 36 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks. I really do need an idiot guide! So - if I'm recording a BBC channel I can only watch BBC channels. If I'm recording an ITV channel I can only watch ITV channels. Is that right? And what happens with things like Yesterday, Drama etc. And CBeebies is not classed as a BBC channel then?

Look at the list at the DTG site posted.

You will see a block of channels labelled PSB1/BBC A.

Depending where you live you will have one version of Channel 1 and 2 and the remainder of the channels. You can record any one and watch any other. For Example Channel 1 and 80 together.

The other blocks are the same

For example PSB2

3 and 5, 3 and 4, 4 and 5 are all possible.

The channel up/down buttons will cycle through the channels you can watch.

Yesterday is in COM 6 same rules apply.

| Mon 23 Dec 2013 15:14:19 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.