My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Can't upgrade HDR2000T to 1.01.06 software via USB

(4 posts)
  1. GarryP

GarryP

(Apologies if I've made a major faux pas by starting a new thread but the original one - http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hdr-2000t-new-software-10106 - is up to 10 pages and went into internet updates and other stuff. I thought it might be helpful to start a new one specifically for upgrading via USB for people, like me, who only have that option. If I've done a bad thing then please tell me; I'm new to this forum, and I'm an idiot.)

I've repeatedly tried upgrading my HDR2000T via USB but to no avail:

1. I downloaded the "HDR-2000T ver1.01.06.zip" directly from the Humax site here: http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_releases.php?gid=442&pid=6 , then extracted the "hdr2000t_upgrade.hdf" file.

2. I formatted a 4GB Staples USB2 stick on OSX as FAT - I assume that's FAT32, there are no other similar options - then copied the "hdr2000t_upgrade.hdf" file to the root folder of the stick. (This USB stick has been used successfully to transfer recordings to and from the Humax box without any problems after formatting on OSX.)

3. I unplugged the Humax box.

4. I inserted the USB stick, kept the channel down button pressed down, and plugged the Humax box back in.

5. The Humax box started up into stand-by normally, while I still had the channel down button pressed down, until the red light came on at the front.

6. After about a minute of waiting I pressed the ON button on the Humax box, still keeping the channel down button pressed down.

7. The Humax box came out of stand-by as normal - switching to the blue light - and no upgrade was performed.

8. I then released the channel down button and put the Humax box into standby.

9. After waiting for the drive to spin down, I kept the channel down button pressed down and pressed the ON button on the Humax box.

10. The Humax box came out of stand-by as normal and no upgrade was performed.

11. I put the Humax box into stand-by, waited for the drive to spin down again, then unplugged it.

12. I then repeated the whole process again - steps 4-10 - but this time, instead of keeping the channel down button pressed down, I pressed it repeatedly (2-3 times per second-ish).

Each time the Humax box came out of stand-by as normal and no upgrade was performed.

I then formatted an Integral 256MB USB stick, zeroing the drive again, and copied the file over to the newly formatted stick.

I preformed steps 3-12 again - once keeping the channel down button pressed down, then again repeatedly pressing the channel down button - with the new drive and, again, no upgrade was performed.

I then repeated the whole process from steps 2-12 but this time, at the start, formatted each drive as FAT through Linux Mint instead of OSX.

Again, for each of the four attempts, no upgrade was performed.

I don't have an inexhaustible supply of different USB sticks and I don't have access to a Windows PC. I'm also not able to connect my Humax box to the internet.

Can anyone suggest how I should proceed please? Is there something major that I've simply not done, or not done right?

(I've never known an upgrade be this awkward before, on any other piece of kit.)

| Tue 16 Dec 2014 14:59:48 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I'm guessing the usb stick is causing problems and obviously doing a full format, not quick, on a windows pc would sort it out; however as you don't have access and other people have had problems with mac's version 10.6.2 and below the next thing to try would be the terminal console line command 'diskutil' using the eraseDisk FAT32 MBRFormat options.

It's imperative that you fully understand diskutil and the options and that you select the correct device/usb-stick, if not find a windows pc and do a full format, not quick, on it

I have known other upgrades to be more awkward, I seem to remember having to format an SD card in fat12 or fat16 can't remember which now, but I didn't believe it and proved myself wrong after a few tries.

good luck with the upgrade, hope it solves the other issues you have

| Tue 16 Dec 2014 15:45:46 #2 |
  3. GarryP

GarryP

Thanks for the reply damian.

I've just tried re-formatting with:
    sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 HUMAX MBRFormat /dev/disk2
    on one of my USBs but no joy, same non-result.

It was already as…
    /dev/disk2
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: FDisk_partition_scheme *252.2 MB disk2
    1: DOS_FAT_32 UNTITLED 252.1 MB disk2s1

…but it was certainly worth a try.

I'll attempt to persuade someone else to fully format a newer stick on a Windows machine and see what's what from there.

Thanks again.

| Tue 16 Dec 2014 16:21:03 #3 |
  4. GarryP

GarryP

Hooray!

I've just managed to upgrade my software.

The problem that I was having was my own stupidity in not reading the instructions properly and fully.

The procedure worked when I used the channel down button ON THE FRONT OF THE MACHINE, not the one on the remote control.

I realise that it's my own stupid fault but it could have been made a bit more obvious.

I've only ever used the stand-by button on the machine, so the other ones were sort of in my "blind spot", therefore I "defaulted" to the one on the remote. Silly, but easily enough done. (For me anyway.)

Anyway, I hope that my writing this and showing myself up as being a total idiot helps some other people not look so much of a fool.

Note: Keeping the button continually pressed down seems to tell the box to reboot continually. You just need to tap it a few times. And the procedure worked from normal stand-by, I didn't need to power the box down fully.

P.S. Extra bonus: As some other people have also noticed, the number of my signal strength bars has almost doubled on all of the channels I've looked at. A nice result, I hope.

| Wed 17 Dec 2014 20:34:47 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.