My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Configuring WiFi

(28 posts)
  1. Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

Just got a Humax WLAN Stick and I've been sent the English instructions which suggest you simply configure the dongle from the Internet Settings>Configure WiFi page, no messing with the CD on another PC or whatever.

All well and good, I've got the very latest firmware issued yesterday.

I have to enter my Network Name and Password by hand as my router does not broadcast the name and they are full length so this takes some time, BUT, there is a Timeout on these pages!

After several attempts I've got the Network Name loaded but can't get the password in before the Timeout strikes and all settings are lost and you have to start again from the Network Name.

Any suggestions?

BTW - attached the instructions, not sure if your have these anyway - all rather obvious in fact.

| Tue 5 Jul 2011 16:12:03 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Could you not temporarily enable ssid transmission on the router leaving only the password to be entered.

| Tue 5 Jul 2011 16:15:10 #2 |
  3. Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

grahamlthompson - 31 minutes ago  » 
    Could you not temporarily enable ssid transmission on the router leaving only the password to be entered.

Graham, the SSID is not the problem in fact, I can <<just>> get that entered in time; I'm quite adept at that now!, it's the Password page which timesout well before I get near the end. And no, I don't want to broadcast the SSID or shorten or simplify the password.
    I have asked Humax UK Support for advice. Maybe I can try and work out what the German instructions say and see if there is an offline configuration option instead. Do the config parameters get saved in the dongle itself and then downloaded to the HRD upon insertion?

| Tue 5 Jul 2011 16:50:38 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Glad my HD Foxsat is on a direct cable Just needs a IP address.

| Tue 5 Jul 2011 17:14:08 #4 |
  5. Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

Further to my original query, I have now configured the Humax WLAN Stick on my PC using the setup utility supplied on CD.
    The dongle appears to work from my PC as my wireless router sees it and Windows 7 confirms there is a wireless connection, so everything looks fine in that respect.
    So - take the dongle to the Humax HDR Fox T2, plug it in and it's as if the thing is not there. Press TV Portal and it says the network is not connected. The Internet System Settings say the network is disconnected and it just wants me to hand configure the WiFi interface, which I can't do due to the timeout issues above.

Am I missing some essential truth here? I'm guessing the dongle carries the setup parameters (SSID, WPA key etc)...

Any ideas?

BTW - do Humax UK Support ever reply to an email query or ignore all enquiries?

| Wed 6 Jul 2011 13:21:20 #5 |
  6. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Have you tried the dongle on both USB ports?

Can you confirm that there is a WiFi signal in the area where your unit sits?

Humax support via email is poor - email is not the best way to communicate with them.

| Wed 6 Jul 2011 13:36:09 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Trevor Wright - 17 minutes ago  » 
    I'm guessing the dongle carries the setup parameters (SSID, WPA key etc)...

What leads you to that conclusion? It seems most unlikely to me.

| Wed 6 Jul 2011 13:39:23 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clive

I had a similar problem with my Humax dongle.

When the Internet radio kept crashing it must have corrupted something as my Humax could not see the dongle from that point on.
    The only way I could fix this was to re set my box to factory settings(Take the dongle out first before you do this).

The box could then see the dongle again.

The downside to all that, is you lose all your recordings in the process.

| Wed 6 Jul 2011 13:41:15 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Clive - 2 hours ago  » 
    The downside to all that, is you lose all your recordings in the process.

Do you mean that you lost all previously made recordings or that you lost the schedule of future recordings (which is what I would expect)?

| Wed 6 Jul 2011 15:57:05 #9 |
  10. Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

** PROBLEM OVERCOME **
    Just to recount my original problem: there is a <timeout> on the two main pages of the Configure WiFi section, which <timeout> not <timeout-seconds> from your last input but from the time you open the page. This means if you have a max length SSID and/or Password, as I have, then it is very difficult to get the string in before you get dumped out of Menu back to current TV programme.

Barry - as you seem to have a direct conduit to Humax, can you ask them to look at what seems to be a definite and probably easily resolved bug. The timeout should be from the last input and not from the time the page opens. You can maybe also ask them to include the one page English language instructions as the German booklet and the enclosed CD are irrelevant.

So - the way around this problem is simple and crude. You just need to practice hard in entering the strings, a bit like a manic TXTer on one of those portable telephone things. After a lot of practice, I finally got my long strings in and Hey Presto, I'm online.

Just watched Prime Ministers Question Time on iPlayer and looked at my pics on Flickr. Magic...

Thanks for the Forums assistance - over to Humax to fix this silly problem.

| Wed 6 Jul 2011 19:13:38 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.