My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Other Humax Products

connecting humax lu 20 to dvd player

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

garrulus

I'm trying to connect my Humax LU20-TD2 TV, which has a scart connection to a new dvd player with HDMI. The cable I've got has only a small scart connector. Can I get an adaptor that will fit my tv & connect to HDMI?

| Tue 31 Mar 2015 14:47:13 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

You're not going to get a scart <-> hdmi adapter. There are converters available, but these cost more than the value of your tv.
    Which make/model dvd have you? They almost always have a scart and or rca composite or component or s-video outputs.
    scart to rca/s-video/component cables are readily available on ebay

| Tue 31 Mar 2015 15:11:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

garrulus

Thanks. The dvd is S1500. I've bought a scart/hdmi cable but the scart end is too small for the socket on the tv. Maybe my tv is just too old for more up to date stuff.

| Tue 31 Mar 2015 16:36:55 #3 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

garrulus - 3 hours ago  » 
    Thanks. The dvd is S1500. I've bought a scart/hdmi cable but the scart end is too small for the socket on the tv. Maybe my tv is just too old for more up to date stuff.

If someone sold you that as a SCART to HDMI cable I think they may have misled you, I'm guessing you've got a DVI to HDMI cable, an HDMI to SCART converter is a box of electronics.

| Tue 31 Mar 2015 19:46:35 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

garrulus - 3 hours ago  » 

To convert HDMI (digital) to analogue (scart) requires a device called a dac (Digital Analogue Converter) A dac needs a power supply. It cannot be done by simple cable.

eg

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/wikson-electronics-Composite-Converter-Chromecast/dp/B00LNA07PY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1427831293&sr=8-2&keywords=convert+hdmi+to+scart

However a DVD player will almost certainly already have analogue outputs that can easily be connected to a TV scart socket. Can you post a picture of the connections on the box ? Is there 3 phono sockets coloured Yellow Red and White ?

| Tue 31 Mar 2015 19:53:21 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

garrulus - 6 hours ago  » 

and Make?

if it's a sony blu-ray/dvd then unfortunately it only has hdmi and there's no sensible way to connect it to scart.
    Any money spent on adapters/converters would be better spent on a new tv or even a different dvd player.
    You can get decent branded dvd players that have scart from around £25. If it is the sony blu-ray/dvd then it's a nice player and once connected to the internet will offer on-demand channels.

Difficult to suggest options without knowing, what make i.e what it is you actually have and/or want, can you return it and buy a standard dvd with scart, do you want the internet on-demand 'smart' extras, or spend ~£150 on a new tv or ~£25 on a dvd player? etc. etc.

| Tue 31 Mar 2015 23:57:13 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

garrulus

Thanks so much, that's really helpful. I'll have to consider the best options but at least I know where I am, now.

| Wed 1 Apr 2015 7:29:56 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.