My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Does HDR 2000T play WMV files via USB?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ViewR

Hello,
    I'm thinking of getting a HDR 2000T and my question is: Does it play WMV files via USB?

I've read some reviews that mention it is able to stream WMV videos over DLNA/local network, but no mention is made of whether it can play WMV videos from the USB port or the internal hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

| Wed 18 Jun 2014 6:46:53 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

I only have a few short WMV samples (think they originated from microsoft) Amazing caves, Coral Reef Adventure, Discoverers.

They playback fine from usb pendrive.

| Wed 18 Jun 2014 11:13:42 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ViewR

Excellent news, thanks for the info. Does the fast forward / rewind / 30 second skip, time bar seeking etc all work correctly? Some devices with USB media capability might support a format, but with limitations, such as unable to fast forward a video, or the aspect ratio will be wrong, or devices that can display JPG images but only a maximum resolution of 5 megapixels and the image is distorted and colours come out too dark and contrasty, images take ages to load etc etc.

What are the USB playback limitations of the HDR 2000T?

Does the time bar seeking thing that can be used to quickly seek to the end of a long Freeview recording also work on USB videos aswell?

Does it remember your last playback position on USB videos and ask you if you want to resume from the last position or start again from the begining?

| Wed 18 Jun 2014 14:15:43 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

With respect to the WMV samples I have tried - all trick play functions are available, skip forward/back, FF/RWD, timebar seek using the right/left arrow, work but not direct time entry. Resume playback from previous position also works.

| Wed 18 Jun 2014 16:48:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

catinaz

Excellent news, thanks for the info. Does the fast forward / rewind / 30 second skip, time bar seeking etc all work correctly?

I seem to remember, some time ago (4-5 month?) one user reported that they box didn't FF, RWD video (WMV?) files. I have tried four I had, and on three of them FF/RWD didn't work, but was fine on forth. I came to conclusion, that, although, player plays a part, it depends on video file's meta data's quality as well, whether afore mentioned functions will work or not on certain file. I think that applies to photos as well.
    Please note: I have HB1000s where software, and consequently media player, might be different.
    P.S. For photos see thistread.

| Thu 19 Jun 2014 2:02:39 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ViewR

Hmm, so the USB playback sounds patchy. That's a shame, I was hoping the HDR 2000T could be a credible alternative to WDTV live, Asus OPlay etc.

For the JPG photos, it might have been because they were saved with progressive encoding. Some devices can struggle with progressive JPGs. Luckily, tools such as Irfanview can losslessly convert progressive JPGs into normal ones with it's JPG lossless operations function. But why must we convert? Irfanview and PC's can handle any JPG you throw at them, why can't a Humax hardware device in 2014?

For the WMV's that wouldn't do FF/REW etc it would be interesting to see what codec information tools such as MediaInfo and GSpot have to say about those videos.

| Thu 19 Jun 2014 18:20:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

catinaz

I seem to remember, some time ago (4-5 month?) one user reported that they box didn't FF, RWD video (WMV?) files

I do apologize, that was about .mpg playback rather than .wmv. It's here. I've checked the files (.mpg) with MediaInfo and the only difference between files that FF and not is "Standard - NTSC". With "NTSC" not FF. And the one without line "Standard" working fine.

| Fri 20 Jun 2014 13:47:45 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ViewR

catinaz - 4 hours ago  » 

I seem to remember, some time ago (4-5 month?) one user reported that they box didn't FF, RWD video (WMV?) files

I do apologize, that was about .mpg playback rather than .wmv. It's here. I've checked the files (.mpg) with MediaInfo and the only difference between files that FF and not is "Standard - NTSC". With "NTSC" not FF. And the one without line "Standard" working fine.

Thanks for the correction. Maybe things aren't so bad afterall then.

If it's an .mpg file, then you can probably remux it with tools such as VideoRedo or Womble MPEG Video Wizard and then it might work properly.

| Fri 20 Jun 2014 18:11:19 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.