My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Wifi Dongle greyed out

(95 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Don't think you will find the 300Mbps dongle on retail sale as a stand alone item as yet, only as a bundle with the 2000T 1TB unit.

| Wed 4 Mar 2015 13:56:46 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

rotorman - 3 hours ago  » 
    Many thanks, power line it will be if I cannot find/buy the Humax 300 dongle.
    I am awaiting an email reply from Humax for a source of the said dongle.

I don't know if you can look at the Wifi stats on your router, but connected wifi speed and actual throughput are two completely different things.

Ethernet cable is the best connection by far if possible, powerline plugs (a pair can be got 500Mbps for around £20) comes second, last and by far the worst is wifi and even though plenty of people don't have many problems it's still a nightmare.

I think Humax were brave and right to resist wifi for so long despite marketing pressures. Personal choice though, aesthetically wifi makes sense and it has got better over the years.

| Wed 4 Mar 2015 15:50:34 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rotorman

Damian thanks for your advice. I am almost certainly going along the powerline plugs route and am investigating a TP-Link TL PA4020 Kit from Amazon that will give me two or three Ethernet connections and a pass through power socket. This is in spite of having a good wi-fi signal strength downstairs from my router (BT Infinity)

Luckily I am not in a great hurry as the Panasonic Smart TV I have does have most of the items I wish for, ie Internet and iPlayer, on wi-fi to the set.

| Wed 4 Mar 2015 17:45:19 #43 |
  4. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

@Rotorman. An Amazon seller has the Tenda W311u+ wifi dongle at the moment for £7.99. I ordered another one last week. It uses the Ralink RT3070 chip set so will work on the HDR-2000T. It is working well on one of my HDR-FOX T2 units: I can stream high def. recordings from one HDR-FOX to another (both connected wirelessly) without stutters. It has an antenna which is good if your router is not close to your PVR.

| Wed 4 Mar 2015 20:10:00 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

rotorman

MontysEvilTwin - Many thanks. Will order one and see how it goes.

EDIT - Have Ordered

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 12:33:55 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Humaxoid

Hi, I bought an HDR-2000T 1TB yesterday and was disappointed that the WiFi dongle wouldn't work as it was greyed out in the menu. I returned to RS and they couldn't get it to work either. We tried another dongle and another HDR, nothing worked. RS phoned Humax. They said the software needed updating. RS tried that but the machine would not update. It wouldn't update using the Automatic Update option in Settings and it wouldn't update from a USB stick. I took the unit home and tried again, using a different USB stick (you have to download a zip file from the Humax site, unzip and upload a .hdf file to the stick's root directory). The update then worked ( to v. 1.0.06 I believe). However the WiFi setting in the Menu was still greyed out. I phoned Humax myself. They were very quick and very good. They immediately emailed me an ftp link to download an even later software version, v1.01.10. This is very recent and not yet on their website! I uploaded to the USB stick and ran the update. It worked first time and then the WiFi setting was no longer greyed out. However, the WiFi would not find my network!! I manually entered the details and it worked first time. This took me half a day to sort out, so not really impressed. Why are Humax shipping goods that don't work?

So in short, you need to get Humax to send you an ftp link to the latest v1.01.10 software update and put that on a compatible USB stick to update. Not all USB sticks are recognised by the Humax! Instructions how to update are found on the same page you download the update from.

Hope this helps.

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 22:39:41 #46 |
  7. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

It would be interesting to know if anyone who has bought the HDR-2000T 1TB/ 300 Mbps dongle bundle had the correct software version already installed on the HDR-2000T.

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 23:02:55 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Humaxoid

Mine was the bundle and the installed software was, I think, the version prior to 1.01.06. It's now March 2015 and my HDR came with pre Aug 2014 software, so already in excess of 6 months out of date! I can only presume the dongle was bundled long after the HDR was manufactured. You'd think they would check to make sure the dongle worked with the shipped software wouldn't you?!!

I'm new to this forum and have been reading other threads. I'm now concerned whether or not I've made the right choice! So may issues. My 9300T has been faultless. I just wanted to go HD!

| Thu 5 Mar 2015 23:43:15 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Humax have lost the plot recently.

There's no excuse for not having the latest software available, instead it's cloak and dagger, private messages and emailed ftp links. Support for older products has also disappeared. It takes minutes to put new software online and nothing to keep archived support for discontinued products.

What on earth is going on at Humax?

| Fri 6 Mar 2015 0:22:05 #49 |
  10. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

The HDR-2000T has had some software-related teething problems but at its core it is very similar to the HDR-FOX, which is a superb PVR. I am bemused by the dongle issue though. Humax should have informed their stockists of the situation and put a prominent link to the new software version on the landing page of their UK website. Then when someone buys a HDR-2000T/ new dongle bundle the assistant could say that the unit might need a software update which is available on the Humax website. The current situation is not good for the customers, the stockists or for Humax.

| Fri 6 Mar 2015 1:13:46 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.