My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Expand Humax capacity

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jsp

Thanks for these tips. In the end my husband put both the original and new hard drives into a desktop computer, copied the disc image from the old drive to the new bigger drive with a 2TB partition, and then put the 2TB drive into the Humax. It worked! We're just waiting to see if it catches fire.

Ta!

Jsp

| Thu 28 Aug 2014 18:38:26 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mahelf

damian - 3 months ago  » 
    I don't have a 4TB external drive to play with and I don't think anybody here can give a definite answer without having exactly the same model 4TB drive to test; however if 4TB doesn't work then 2 x 2TB would be the next logical step, if lucky both and if not then at least one of the 2TB partitions should be visible.
    The kernel won't support >2TB natively

Hello,
    I tried a 3 TB Western Digital Elements HD with various options in formating it under EXT3 with :

- either with a single 3 TB partition : it didn't work ("no storage available" for "sdb1" folder siplayed in File Manager when trying to copy a file from internal HD)

- or with two 1.5 TB partitions : equally unsuccessfull (same error message for both "sdb1" and "sdb2" folders displayed in File Manager)

- or three 1 TB partitions : only the first one worked ("sdb1") to copy files from the internal HD. Both other partitions displayed yhe usual "no storage available" when trying to copy a file from internal HD.

I then purchased and formatted EXT3 a 1 TB HD that I connected in parallel with the existing external 1 TB drive connected to the Humax's frontal USB socket through a USB 2.0 hub powered by a mains supply : the Humax perfectly accepts both external HDs, that it identifies as "USB2" and "USB3" ("USB1" being connected to rear USB socket). I can copy files from my internal HD to any of my three external HDs.

The main folder in my "USB3" disk is named "sdc1", while "USB1" and "USB2" disks' main folders display "sad1" and "sdb1" respectively.

I tried to also connect to this USB hub, either a USB key or a raw HD inserted in a dock (both being formatted EXT3), but it unbalanced the connections, and my "USB3" disappeared from the file manager.

On the other hand, I'll try to use another power-supplied USB 2.0 hub on the Humax's rear USB socket to add a new 1 TB disk. I'll keep you informedof the results.

| Thu 27 Nov 2014 13:02:01 #12 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.