My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

External HDD problems deleting

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil LUFC

Hi, after reading up hot to on here, i have managed to format an external hard drive in ext 3 format. Can move recordings over to it no problem but when I try and delete one the following message comes up "cannot delete file due to file restrictions"
    Any help gratefully received
    Phil.

| Fri 15 Mar 2013 23:29:23 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JK

Phil
    Are you trying to deleate the file on the external HDD or the original on the humax?

| Tue 30 Apr 2013 22:22:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

VTROldBoy

I too have this issue. My drive has been filled full due to wife's series recordings and lack of deletion of same. My Fox T2 (yes I know) says disc full, and will not let me delete any files. I thought I could take the drive out and connect up to a PC running Ubuntu, then selectively delete some of files, until the Humax allows the drive to function normally.
    Anyway is this possible, do you know ?
    Is how ??
    Thanks in advance!

| Wed 24 Jan 2024 0:41:52 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

VTROldBoy - 10 hours ago  » 
    My Fox T2 (yes I know) says disc full, and will not let me delete any files. I thought I could take the drive out and connect up to a PC running Ubuntu, then selectively delete some of files, until the Humax allows the drive to function normally.
    Anyway is this possible, do you know ?
    Is how ??

The fact that the HDR-FOX T2 won't allow you to delete files suggests to me that the file system has become corrupt and is now read only. There are two ways to correct this:

1. There is custom firmware for the HDR-FOX T2 which sits alongside the standard Humax software and adds features. One of these is a utility to correct file system problems called fix-disk. The custom firmware can be obtained by going to https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Main_Page and doing some reading. The items on "Installing the custom firmware" and the item on "Maintenance mode disk check (fix-disk)" are particularly relevant.

2. The other way is essentially what you were suggesting, remove the hard drive from the HDR_FOX T2, connect it to the Ubuntu computer with a SATA to USB adapter (NB it needs to be the type of adapter that comes with a 12V power supply for the hard drive, cheap ones will only have a 5V supply) and then run fsck; see https://www.tecmint.com/fsck-repair-file-system-errors-in-linux/

One other thought, the recordings on the hard drive will be owned by user "root" so you will need to use the su command to become the root user.

| Wed 24 Jan 2024 11:45:31 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.