My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Failed Recording On New BBC HD Channels

(77 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Interestingly my parents receive a reflection of Emley Moor off the far side of the valley with an aerial pointing away from Emley Moor. The valley is too deep for direct reception. Normally the signal is fantastic, the aerial is on the back of the house below the gutters to screen the signal from impulse interference from the main road at the front (impulse breakup was terrible before I did this).

But in bad weather (mainly heavy rain or high winds) HD reception has bad breakup while SD continues fine unaffected. This is strange because with equal signal strength (which these have), HD is usually a more robust signal.

| Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:33:33 #71 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

There's a theory I've seen somewhere (I thought it was here?) that the new HD channels will only record if after your most recent retune you've watched them live and set an instant recording and/or live paused them. This seems to have some merit, BBC 3 and 4 HD have been fine for me but I wathed them and instant recorded them when I first tuned them in.

Now I've had my first failed 0 sec recording, of Shaun the Sheep on CBBC HD, which I have never watched live or instant recorded or paused. So tomorrow when the childrens channels are broadcasting I'll cycle through the new HD ones pausing and live recording them.

Also if you retune you go back to square one and the new HD channels don't record again. Apparently. So stop retuning until this is sorted out. I very rarely retune (annually usually) so that may explain my stability.

Why this need to tune and pause and record only applies to the new BBC HD channels and not any other channels is weird. It may be a clue to what the bug is in the software.

| Tue 4 Feb 2014 0:39:33 #72 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Owen Smith - 26 minutes ago  » 
    It may be a clue to what the bug is in the software.

Exactly my thought; a big flashing arrow pointing out the problem.

| Tue 4 Feb 2014 1:06:26 #73 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Owen Smith - 7 hours ago  » 
    There's a theory I've seen somewhere (I thought it was here?) that the new HD channels will only record if after your most recent retune you've watched them live and set an instant recording and/or live paused them. This seems to have some merit, BBC 3 and 4 HD have been fine for me but I wathed them and instant recorded them when I first tuned them in.
    Now I've had my first failed 0 sec recording, of Shaun the Sheep on CBBC HD, which I have never watched live or instant recorded or paused. So tomorrow when the childrens channels are broadcasting I'll cycle through the new HD ones pausing and live recording them.

From Digital Spy 24th December?
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=70465555&postcount=13

Owen Smith - 8 hours ago  » 
    Also if you retune you go back to square one and the new HD channels don't record again. Apparently.

Not always. If I do a straight manual retune I get failures on CBBC HD. If instead of that I manually retune but start off by manually tuning a 3rd transmitter to BBCB HD, then a 2nd and then my desired transmitter so far I've ended up with both CBBC HD and BBC3 HD recording OK from the gun.

| Tue 4 Feb 2014 8:47:11 #74 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I've been checking out the various fixes posted in other places.

Never had a problem with CBBC HD only BBC 3 HD (no com 7 yet in my area)

After a factory reset all I have to do is actually watch BBC 3 HD for approx. 5 mins when on air, then all subsequent schedules timers record without issue.

I have carried out this procedure a number of times and each time just watching the channel for a short while appears to fix recording issue on both a HD and HDR T2.

| Tue 4 Feb 2014 9:03:24 #75 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Well this morning I tuned to CBBC HD and CBeebies HD. This afternoon my Shaun the Sheep recording on CBBC HD worked fine whereas yesterday it did not.

| Tue 4 Feb 2014 22:12:12 #76 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pandelon

Owen Smith - 1 week ago  » 
    Also if you retune you go back to square one and the new HD channels don't record again. Apparently. So stop retuning until this is sorted out. I very rarely retune (annually usually) so that may explain my stability.
    Why this need to tune and pause and record only applies to the new BBC HD channels and not any other channels is weird. It may be a clue to what the bug is in the software.

Very nice tip. I had tried recording BBC 4 HD about four times with absolutely no success. I tried pausing the live broadcast and it refused to work. I then tried a direct record and that worked fine. After I had checked the direct recording and then deleted it I tried the live pause again and it worked this time. I then set a timed recording and it recorded successfully. I have a HDR-2000T.

| Wed 12 Feb 2014 18:23:16 #77 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.