My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Foxsat - HDR - Network issue

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigjohn

Hello to all, I was once a member of the original forum a few years ago when the Foxsat HDR first camw out.

However,I have my Foxsat HDR linked to my router to enable me to use BBC iPlayer. No problems all works great.

I have in the past used the file manager to copy over programs to an external USB hard drive for storage and conversion to cd using AVS. No problems with that.

But know I am thinking it must be possible to transfer direct from the Foxsat via my network to my PC and store the files on a hard drive.

No matter what I try I can not "see" the Foxsat HDR on my network when I look in "My network Places".
    If I look at connected devices on my router it can see the Foxsat with IP address 192.168.0.8

I have tried to set up a new device with "New network setup" on the PC.

So why can I not see it on my PC? Please tell me what I am doing wrong or if it cannot be done.

| Sat 14 Jan 2012 15:18:26 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome to the forum.

Read this thread

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat-hdr-release-40#post-2348

| Sat 14 Jan 2012 15:33:03 #2 |
  3. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

bigjohn - 1 hour ago  » 
    But know I am thinking it must be possible to transfer direct from the Foxsat via my network to my PC and store the files on a hard drive.
    No matter what I try I can not "see" the Foxsat HDR on my network when I look in "My network Places".
    If I look at connected devices on my router it can see the Foxsat with IP address 192.168.0.8
    I have tried to set up a new device with "New network setup" on the PC.
    So why can I not see it on my PC? Please tell me what I am doing wrong or if it cannot be done.

The FOXSAT-HDR has no network features like FTP or media serving DLNA - unlike the HDR-FOX T2.

You will need to install the modified firmware mentioned above by Graham to achieve this.

| Sat 14 Jan 2012 17:01:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigjohn

Hello Graham and son_t, many thanks for such a quick result/answer. I just have a few questions which will be simple to answer I hope.
    I downloaded the "V4 file media server bundle" on to a USB stick. There was no readme text file which was recommeneded to read before updating. "Full instructions on how to install everything are provided in the included ReadMe.txt and I suggest you read this carefully before you start, as there are many changes compared to the earlier v3.0 releases.

I have read up on the version v3, is it the same setup but using the v4 update? And do I also Download and Install Winrar?

I do not want do anything which will screw up the unit as I will be dissowned by my better half if the Foxsat HDR goes into the bit bucket. Thanks in advance.

| Sat 14 Jan 2012 20:38:12 #4 |
  5. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Yes, the rar file is a 'zipped' file - you need winrar to extract the contents. Inside will the instructions/readme you are looking for...

Unfortunately, installing modded firmware is not for the faint-hearted, and Humax won't be able to support you if you break your box installing such...

Recognising the .rar file is a compressed file that needs expanding maybe is the first test to see if you should be installing this or not...

| Sat 14 Jan 2012 20:42:51 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigjohn

Hello son_t,
    I downloaded and installed Winrar. unziped the 3 files and placed on the desktop as suggested.
    1 Readme file
    2 telnet_10_mips.opk 6.27KB
    3 FOXSAT_HDR_upgrade.hdf 7.89 Mb
    and transfered them back on to the USB stick. Taking into account your words about if it all goes wrong I am on my own, do I now follow the instructions as laid out in the "readme" file?

| Sun 15 Jan 2012 12:17:15 #6 |
  7. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Yes. First load the FOXSAT_HDR_upgrade.hdf onto a USB stick (4GB or less will work better). And use it to flash the HDR - connect the USB stick and power off+on the HDR at the back with the standby button pressed. Once flashed, remove the FOXSAT_HDR_upgrade.hdf file from the USB stick and put the telnet_10_mips.opk. Then repeat the flashing routine - this loads up the telnet program, so that you can telnet to the box and install further programs - such as FTP and SSH.

Make sure you set up your network settings in the Menus using the remote on the HDR, before attempting to telnet to the box or perform program update/installs...

| Wed 18 Jan 2012 20:23:47 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

son_t - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Once flashed, remove the FOXSAT_HDR_upgrade.hdf file from the USB stick and put the telnet_10_mips.opk. Then repeat the flashing routine - this loads up the telnet program, so that you can telnet to the box and install further programs - such as FTP and SSH.
    Make sure you set up your network settings in the Menus using the remote on the HDR, before attempting to telnet to the box or perform program update/installs...

Do not repeat the flashing routine as per the firmware install. Once the custom firmware is installed you simply plug in the USB stick containing the telnet_1.0_mips.opk with the box fully powered up to install it (allow a couple of minutes before unplugging). However there is no need even for this step. Check you have an internet connection from the HDR by running BBC iPlayer. If this works then point your PC's web browser to http://192.168.0.8 (substituting the IP address of your own HDR). You can find out what this is by looking at the HDR's menu in Network Settings. Once you have access the HDR's web interface you can install everything you need from the online repository.

| Wed 18 Jan 2012 20:42:51 #8 |
  9. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Cheers for that raydon. I thought that was the idea but could not get the web page to load, so had to do it my way. Will try pointing a browser to it again...

| Wed 18 Jan 2012 20:52:13 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

son_t - 1 hour ago  » 
    Cheers for that raydon. I thought that was the idea but could not get the web page to load, so had to do it my way. Will try pointing a browser to it again...

Glad to help, let me know how you get on....

| Wed 18 Jan 2012 22:31:10 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.