My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Frozen again. Failed recordings.

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Well i have had this unit only a week and i have had problems with remote not responding and freezing issues despite restoring factory, having latest software.

After setting 2 films to record last night I find this morning that the box was frozen in "tv portal has ended" screen. I checked my movies and it had only recorded part of them. This is extremely annoying and shows that this is not a reliable machine.

| Sun 23 Nov 2014 12:50:43 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

First thing to check when recordings have not succeeded successfully is that the HDR is tuned correctly.

See http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/transmitters#post-2336

If you then have further issues then post back what numbers the following displays after the retune
    MENU >> Settings >>System >> Signal Detection >> right arrow (the one to the right of 'OK'

| Sun 23 Nov 2014 13:53:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

All stations are tuned in fine.

| Sun 23 Nov 2014 14:05:40 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

In fact the failed recordings are nothing to do with the tuning of the channels, it's the fact that the machine has frozen.

| Sun 23 Nov 2014 15:16:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Just had another recording fail due to loss of power. We had no power loss but the machine went off and came on again. No loose connections etc. this machine seems very unstable.

| Sun 23 Nov 2014 22:29:22 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

hubb,

you seem to having more than your fair share of problems with this machine.
    Not too sure where to start as you report problems, but don't give much away.

How's the 2000T connected to the TV? did you get hdmi working and if so at what resolution or are you still using scart only. If you're using scart only is the hdmi disconnected?

If you do have hdmi working have you switched off bravia sync CEC on the TV?

What was the answer to Luke's post regarding the numbers following a retune, also which transmitter should you be tuned to?

How is the 2000T connected to the internet?, wifi dongle, home plugs or wired cable etc.? Do you switch any part of this off or disconnect at any time, i.e. router overnight, homeplugs switched off etc.

What else is on your network, i.e. do you have any other devices such as media players?

Does the 2000T have adequate ventilation all around it, does it get warm or hot to the touch after a couple of hours use?

which part of portal does it freeze in? and do you exit out of portal completely after using it? You post #1 would suggest it was set to record 2 films, but portal was used exclusively and left in portal overnight

As you've only had the 2000T about a week and experienced a fair few problems I'm assuming you can't have much recorded, I'm also assuming you've pulled the plug on it a few times following the problems. If it were my Humax, considering the history, I'd be inclined to do yet another factory reset, this time re-formatting the hard drive

If this doesn't help or it all seems too much then I'd consider returning the Humax

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 6:30:14 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

damians questions plus: are there any other electrical devices near to the unit?

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 8:20:24 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Are there any other electrical devices near to the unit? Well of course there are but really is that a problem ? It sits on top of a redundant VCR.

How's the 2000T connected to the TV? did you get hdmi working and if so at what resolution or are you still using scart only. If you're using scart only is the hdmi disconnected? No HDMI working. Connected by SCART. HDMI still in tv but didn't think an issue if it doesn't work.

If you do have hdmi working have you switched off bravia sync CEC on the TV? No. Again, if not working why a problem ? Besides, the tv is switched off overnight.

What was the answer to Luke's post regarding the numbers following a retune, also which transmitter should you be tuned to? I followed instructions for Winter Hill which is nearest to us. I keyed in the first number on the list and ended up with a handful of channels. Gave up and auto tuned which restored them. I have had no problems with the channels themselves so no need to re tune. They are all as clear as can be.

How is the 2000T connected to the internet?, wifi dongle, home plugs or wired cable etc.? Do you switch any part of this off or disconnect at any time, i.e. router overnight, homeplugs switched off etc. It is connected via a SKY router via the ethernet cable. I did unplug the router before I retired for the night because I don't like burning electric unnecessarily. I did think that the Humix will not need the router for recording from the antenna.

What else is on your network, i.e. do you have any other devices such as media players? No

Does the 2000T have adequate ventilation all around it, does it get warm or hot to the touch after a couple of hours use? Yes. Never felt it's temp. Again, it is in a normal tv cabinet with adequate space around it.

which part of portal does it freeze in? and do you exit out of portal completely after using it? You post #1 would suggest it was set to record 2 films, but portal was used exclusively and left in portal overnight I can't recall using the portal before I left it but the next day it was still frozen in exiting portal mode. The time before it froze in BBC iplayer. Also went to my videos and the button on the remote failed to open it. had to power down again to get it to work.

As you've only had the 2000T about a week and experienced a fair few problems I'm assuming you can't have much recorded, I'm also assuming you've pulled the plug on it a few times following the problems. If it were my Humax, considering the history, I'd be inclined to do yet another factory reset, this time re-formatting the hard drive I have already done a factory reset which has not stopped these issues, I am curious to know why this seems would help. Reformatting the drive will wipe my recordings (about 5 films so far, a few more watched and deleted) but I suppose I can transfer them onto an external hard drive.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 9:33:25 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Hubb, thanks for the reply,

the humax on top of a vcr is not a problem assuming the vcr is switched off.

I assume you haven't tried factory resetting at 720p, one of my HD displays will only work with a Humax properly if I factory reset to 720p changing it later to 1080 works, but causes problems afterwards; however if not using hdmi then disconnect it from the Humax

no need to switch off bravia sync CEC if hdmi disconnected, it can cause problems if hdmi connected hence the advice to switch it off if using hdmi and experiencing problems

still no answer to Luke's question; however look at the channels frequencies and Muxes from Winter Hill and make sure you're not picking up anything from another transmitter, duplicates will cause problems regardless of quality of picture

most people here would leave their routers on overnight, virtually all devices I know that are connected to the network throw a wobbly if the router is disconnected, rug pulled out from underneath them. I'd suggest leaving the router plugged in 24/7 as it's designed to be or if you feel the need to unplug it then put the Humax into standby, wait for the hard drive to stop spinning and power it off at the mains. In the morning switch the Humax on, or the next time you want to use it, only after the router has been switched on, I'd wait around 5 minutes for the router to boot up properly and establish connections before switching on the Humax

ventilation, good that it has space around it, I'm assuming the tv cabinet has an open front and the Humax has space at the back. If possible it's not a bad idea to check the temperature if possible, if you can't run your hands over the top and around it, feel for hot spots, then there's probably not enough space or ventilation for it.

media players can cause problems, but as there aren't any this can be ignored.

Portal, it can only have been in portal for you to have found it exiting portal the following morning. If you pulled the router then there's a very good chance it will freeze and get stuck in portal, if the 2 films were set or were in the process of recording then switching the router off whilst in portal could have caused it to freeze and the recordings are likely to have failed as a result

not too sure why the video button didn't work, but if portal/iplayer freezes it's not always obvious that you're still in portal which needs to be exited completely

If there's been power cuts or the plug pulled, the latter which I assume has been more than a few times then the file system on the hard drive is likely to have become corrupted. Without pulling the drive out and checking on a pc or similar with disk utilities; reformatting is the easiest and best way to be sure the file system is clean and not corrupted

The humaxes are normally pretty reliable boxes; however like most things today they've got complicated and need to be understood a little bit to get the best use out of them. This doesn't mean that your box isn't faulty and the tricky part is working out whether there's a local environment problem or a faulty box. Most posts here on the forum are related to local environment or software/firmware issues with a sprinkling of hardware problems.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 16:55:12 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Thanks Damian. That was very informative. Will take into consideration what you say but I really need to get to the bottom of what this is so I can take it back if need be.

| Mon 24 Nov 2014 18:45:00 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.