My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

FTP-ing from Mac to Humax -> Which formats to use?

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

benjy

Hey everyone,

I can successfully transfer video files from my Mac to the Humax HDR-2000T but every format I try comes back as "format not supported" when I try to play them.

Can anyone help me with which formats are supported and which ones they'd recommend?

Thanks

| Wed 27 Aug 2014 21:33:19 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

benny1234

Check trustedreviews for formats

http://www.trustedreviews.com/humax-hdr-2000t-specs

Also, from the trusted review:

"Hit the Media key and it’ll bring up a list of PCs and servers on your home network. You can browse folders and files and play them through your TV. The list of supported formats is lengthy – we had no trouble streaming XviD, WMV HD, hi-def AVI, AVCHD and MP4 but there’s no streaming support for DivX or MKV. On the music side the Humax HDR-2000T is limited to MP3 playback. Alternatively you can play files from USB storage devices and doing so allows you to play MKV and DivX."

I can play mp4 files that I transferred over to it

| Tue 14 Oct 2014 19:30:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A B

Hi,

How did you transfer files from your computer to the Humax?
    I'm looking to move files from my Windows 7 laptop to an external HDD connected to a Humax 1000s.

| Tue 14 Oct 2014 21:05:57 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

benny1234

First of all you could plug your external drive into your Windows PC and transfer the files directly to it before plugging it into the Humax.

This would be faster transferring the files using the internet connection.

I transferred my files directly to the Humax disk using the Humax FTP Server, but it would work the same way with your external drive after it has been plugged in.

1) Enable the FTP Server.

Goto to Humax->Settings->System->Internet Settings. Goto option "FTP Server" and turn it on. When your Humax is connected to the internet it will be given a unique internet address, this address will look something like, for example, 192.168.1.50.

To get this address go up to the other option "Configure LAN" and press OK. You will see the label "IP Address". If the option "Configure IP" is set to manual this address will be the one you have assigned to it on your home network. If DHCP it will be assigned by the router the Humax is plugged into. I suggest using DHCP to get a "free" address from your route and then changing it back to "manual" so that it always has the same internet address. The reason for this will explained later.

Your Humax will now be ready to FTP files to it (and connected USB drives) from your Windows PC.

2) We now need to set your PC up so that you can easily copy and paste to your Humax, or USb drive as if it is a folder on your PC.

Now read the following link which contains detail instructions on how to create the shortcut on your PC.

http://superuser.com/questions/166469/how-to-make-shortcut-to-ftp-site-open-in-windows-explorer-not-ie

Read the article number 4 which is the best one.

In step 2) of the article use the address ftp:/<ftp address>

Where <ftp address> is the address of your humax as described above. That is, from the above example 192.168.1.50

Press <RETURN> and follow the Windows instructions.

In step 3) you will be asked the credentials (FTP user name and password) to log onto the Humax FTP and if you want the computer to remember these values.

Enter "humaxftp" and "0000" for the user name and password WITHOUT the " characters and say "yes" to remember the user and password. This is so you don't have to keep reentering it.

Follow the instructions to step 4) and now you will have a shortcut that will take you directly to your Humax hard disk(s) (internal and external).

When you open the folder you will see other folders. These are:

"My Photo"
    "My Music"
    and "My Video"

These are the internal disk folders.

Your external disk will show as another folder. I think this will be "drive1". I do not have an external disk only USB PEN drive which shows as "drive1".

Now you will be able to copy and paste to either internal and external drives from your PC.

The reason why you assign a manual IP address is because it will not change whenever your router or Humax is rebooted. So the shortcut always has the right address.

Note, you CANNOT delete files on your Humax or external driver from your PC. You have to use the Humax "Media" options for that.

Hope this helps. I have found this to be a fantastic feature of the Humax :).

| Wed 15 Oct 2014 19:27:49 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

benny1234 - 4 minutes ago  » 
    First of all you could plug your external drive into your Windows PC and transfer the files directly to it before plugging it into the Humax.
    This would be faster transferring the files using the internet connection.
    I transferred my files directly to the Humax disk using the Humax FTP Server, but it would work the same way with your external drive after it has been plugged in.
    1) Enable the FTP Server.
    Goto to Humax->Settings->System->Internet Settings. Goto option "FTP Server" and turn it on. When your Humax is connected to the internet it will be given a unique internet address, this address will look something like, for example, 192.168.1.50.
    To get this address go up to the other option "Configure LAN" and press OK. You will see the label "IP Address". If the option "Configure IP" is set to manual this address will be the one you have assigned to it on your home network. If DHCP it will be assigned by the router the Humax is plugged into. I suggest using DHCP to get a "free" address from your route and then changing it back to "manual" so that it always has the same internet address. The reason for this will explained later.
    Your Humax will now be ready to FTP files to it (and connected USB drives) from your Windows PC.
    2) We now need to set your PC up so that you can easily copy and paste to your Humax, or USb drive as if it is a folder on your PC.
    Now read the following link which contains detail instructions on how to create the shortcut on your PC.
    http://superuser.com/questions/166469/how-to-make-shortcut-to-ftp-site-open-in-windows-explorer-not-ie
    Read the article number 3 which is the best one.
    In step 2) of the article use the address ftp:/<ftp address>
    Where <ftp address> is the address of your humax as described above. That is, from the above example 192.168.1.50
    Press <RETURN> and follow the Windows instructions.
    In step 3) you will be asked the credentials (FTP user name and password) to log onto the Humax FTP and if you want the computer to remember these values.
    Enter "humaxftp" and "0000" for the user name and password WITHOUT the " characters and say "yes" to remember the user and password. This is so you don't have to keep reentering it.
    Follow the instructions to step 4) and now you will have a shortcut that will take you directly to your Humax hard disk(s) (internal and external).
    When you open the folder you will see other folders. These are:
    "My Photo"
    "My Music"
    and "My Video"
    These are the internal disk folders.
    Your external disk will show as another folder. I think this will be "drive1". I do not have an external disk only USB PEN drive which shows as "drive1".
    Now you will be able to copy and paste to either internal and external drives from your PC.
    The reason why you assign a manual IP address is because it will not change whenever your router or Humax is rebooted. So the shortcut always has the right address.
    Note, you CANNOT delete files on your Humax or external driver from your PC. You have to use the Humax "Media" options for that.
    Hope this helps. I have found this to be a fantastic feature of the Humax :).

I think you are confusing the Freeview HDR FOX T2 (or derivatives) with the satellite based HDR1000S. The HDR1000S has a DLNA client that can access content directly on connected kit on your network if it has a DLNA server. There's no FTP access or access to settings in the Humax menu entry (Found on a HDR10x0S via the home menu).

You can however upload content from a USB drive in a format the box understands. You don't have to upload it as the box can play it back directly from USB anyway.

Normally the easiest way to ensure a fixed address is to let the box connect automatically. Then open your router setup and reserve the address to the MAC address of the box.

| Wed 15 Oct 2014 19:39:27 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

benny1234

Oops. Didn't see that he has a 1000S. I have a T2000

| Wed 15 Oct 2014 19:42:18 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

benny1234 - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Oops. Didn't see that he has a 1000S. I have a T2000

The HDR1000S and derivatives is the most locked down box Humax have built to date except for the Youview DTR range.

Your post could well be really useful to T2000 users.

Perhaps a kindly moderator will move it to an appropriate thread.

| Wed 15 Oct 2014 19:46:42 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

andymccowen

Hi I have a DTR T2000 youview box. I assume as there is no ftp server on the box there is no way of taking recordings off it? I travel a lot and would like the functionality of being able to watch my recordings on other devices like iPad rather than just on the box connected to the tv. Any help much appreciated

| Tue 17 Mar 2015 0:02:50 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andymccowen - 9 hours ago  » 
    Hi I have a DTR T2000 youview box. I assume as there is no ftp server on the box there is no way of taking recordings off it? I travel a lot and would like the functionality of being able to watch my recordings on other devices like iPad rather than just on the box connected to the tv. Any help much appreciated

Hi welcome to our forum. One of the shortcomings of the Youview boxes compared to the Freeview+ HDR boxes. These have both DLNA and archiving to a usb mass storage device.

| Tue 17 Mar 2015 9:40:55 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

andymccowen

thanks for the reply. Its a real shame as the rest of the functionality on the box is supreb. On demand services are awesome. I wonder if this is something that might come later on

Cheers
    Andy

| Tue 17 Mar 2015 13:43:33 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.