My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Good Signal Strength But Poor Quality

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pauljoan

Very strange problem. When aerial first plugged in the signal strength and quality are good and picture good. But over period of 15mins the signal quality reduces while strength remains good, quality gets low and picture then fails. Replugging aerial lead recovers original state and cycle continues until quality and picture fails again after about 15 mins.
    What's going on!!!
    PS this is not a Humax problem because similar symptoms occur when using the inbuilt TV Freeview tuner.

| Tue 18 Sep 2012 23:24:39 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sandra

I would be tempted to take the plug off and cut the coax back a bit, if you have enough length, and make a fresh connection as it sounds like a coax or aerial problem and thats the easiest place to start.

| Wed 19 Sep 2012 2:51:31 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pauljoan

Thanks for reply but have already cut back and remade plug connection. When quality goes down then wiggling plug makes no difference, it only improves if you completely remove plug and reconnect, quality then immediately goes back to 100%.

| Wed 19 Sep 2012 9:24:20 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Have you by any chance got a powered masthead amplifier and you are plugging in the box between the power supply and the aerial downlead instead of after the power supply ?

| Wed 19 Sep 2012 9:25:44 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pauljoan

System in my daughters house and have not yet had time to get up in loft and see what's connected to what. Should be able to check it out in next few days and will report back.
    Have also posted this on Digital Spy forum and it has been suggested that should try removing amplifier because signal in Oxford area should be good stength anyway.
    I need to get up in that loft as soon as pos.

| Wed 19 Sep 2012 17:36:10 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pauljoan - 21 minutes ago  » 
    System in my daughters house and have not yet had time to get up in loft and see what's connected to what. Should be able to check it out in next few days and will report back.
    Have also posted this on Digital Spy forum and it has been suggested that should try removing amplifier because signal in Oxford area should be good stength anyway.
    I need to get up in that loft as soon as pos.

The power supply for the amp may be downstairs and you have rendered it inoperative by the order you have connected the cables. It's very common for amplifiers to be powered up one of the coax cables from a convenient power socket. The amplifier is often a small box mounted close to the aerial externally, if so to remove it you will need to get to the aerial.

| Wed 19 Sep 2012 17:59:34 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pauljoan

Problem has been overcome.
    Found a powered amplifier/splitter upstairs in bedroom. It was connected correctly although should be noted that of the 3 "out" cables run around the house only one was actually connected to a TV.
    Eliminated the unit by connecting the aerial cable directly to the TV cable. System now works perfectly, the signal strength has been reduced but quality now consistently high. Will never know if problem due to excessive signal strength or just a faulty amplifier/splitter.
    Thanks for all comments.

| Fri 21 Sep 2012 23:29:21 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.