My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Gradient black lines, freezing image, poor service

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richmix

Hello

I have had a 1000s since July this year. I got rid of Sky and went for the "best" Freesat I could buy.

The reviews at the time were mixed for the 1000s but all-in-all got the best scores in comparison to the rest of the competition. Many years ago I had a 9150t and was so impressed with the quality and range of functions, I naturally chose the 1000s

I have to say that now six months down the line and testing the 1000s to the limits, it under performs in numerous areas and is just getting some really niggly problems which don't seem to get resolved.

1) First and foremost is the audio and picture freeze after resuming the live pause or pressing fast forward to where the live TV is actually playing from. The picture either freezes and maintains the audio or the audio and picture stutters. You have to change channel and then back again to resolve. Only minor but so frustrating.
    I contacted Humax support and was told to reset, re boot etc. All done with no success so I had to replace the box with a brand new one and this new box done EXACTLY the same. Humax were "unable to replicate this problem at the offices" therefore I must just be unlucky and have had two defective boxes. I was not prepared to go back to the shops and get a third box.

2) The EPG Banner has suddenly started to show lots and lots of thick black lines, all at different tints of black. Instead of the smooth graduation on the screen, I get loads of black lines.
    The black lines cover two thirds of the screen and looks awful.

In summary it should be a great box for the price I paid. It lacks an immense amount of user customisation and the speed in which it operates is abysmal. The start up time is hiddeous, the button/function lag is awful, the audio difference between HD and SD is too noticeable amongst many other things.

The technical support I have experienced is very poor and I have to say that as once a great advocate of Humax and someone who would strongly recommend their products, Is now someone who feels disappointed with a very expensive bit of kit that under performs.

Has anyone else experienced these technical issues?

Is it a firmware issue or hardware?

Look forward to your responses

Cheers

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 15:02:04 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Your problems are not typical and to me I suspect a hard disk problem in the timeslip buffer area. A reformat might give a solution.

2. Very strange - possibly also a disk problem as the unit is nearly always writing to disk, I would also try putting the unit in standby and then doing a 60 second power cycle.

"The start up time is hideous" I find it better than most - far faster than for example a Sky unit's cold start-up. ("Normal standby" on most sky units is a powered up state and greatly exceeds the 0.6w EEC standard.

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 15:26:29 #2 |
  3. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

With 1) I don't suppose you've added any Lip-sync delay in the audio settings have you?

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 21:13:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richmix

Thanks for your prompt responses.

-gonzo- - YES - here is a lip sync delay adjustment on there (about 120ms)Otherwise its also awful

REPASSAC - Could I be so unlucky to get two boxes both with disk problems? Thanks also but surely if you pay £300 for a laptop for example, why format it all the time? I've tried all the formatting, re building etc but with no resolve?

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 22:43:21 #4 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Richmix - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for your prompt responses.
    -gonzo- - YES - here is a lip sync delay adjustment on there (about 120ms)Otherwise its also awful
    REPASSAC - Could I be so unlucky to get two boxes both with disk problems? Thanks also but surely if you pay £300 for a laptop for example, why format it all the time? I've tried all the formatting, re building etc but with no resolve?

That's your problem for that particular issue what you described in 1).
    Currrently there's a bug when using lip-sync delay which causes some odd behaviours which Humax are currently working on a fix.
    Setting Lip-sync delay back to 0ms and the box behaves normal.

| Thu 19 Dec 2013 0:14:13 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richmix

Great, thanks for the update. Just need to fix the rest and we're sorted!;)

| Sat 21 Dec 2013 9:29:13 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Richmix,

Just read your feedback. Can i suggest an idea that MAY resolve freezing - at least might help. What I did a few monthes back was to download an older version of the software http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/freesat-hd (at bottom of this page) & then using a USB stick installed this then reinstalled the OTA from Humax. Did a factory reset & hopefully this resolved problem. If this doesn't work, try it again a few times. I now how frustrating it is. I had to reformat my hadrdrive & also reinput all my schedules etc. But it worked for me - no more freezing picture. I think the problem is something to do with firmware not fully updating/ rewriting if you "upgrade" from last version to say version 59. I may be wrong, but I had simular problem & tried the idea & it was worked so far. Let me know how you get on. It would make my day if I have helped someone!

| Thu 9 Jan 2014 11:02:40 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Richmix,

Just read your feedback. Can i suggest an idea that MAY resolve freezing - at least might help. What I did a few monthes back was to download an older version of the software http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/freesat-hd (at bottom of this page) & then using a USB stick installed this then reinstalled the OTA from Humax. Did a factory reset & hopefully this resolved problem. If this doesn't work, try it again a few times. I now how frustrating it is. I had to reformat my hadrdrive & also reinput all my schedules etc. But it worked for me - no more freezing picture. I think the problem is something to do with firmware not fully updating/ rewriting if you "upgrade" from last version to say version 59. I may be wrong, but I had simular problem & tried the idea & it was worked so far. Let me know how you get on. It would make my day if I have helped someone!

| Thu 9 Jan 2014 11:06:37 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.