My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Green screen with HDR-2000T

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Charlies

We purchased a brand new Samsung LT28D310 TV and an Humax HDR-2000T 6 weeks ago from Currys. After struggling to get the two to work together, we called in our local TV repair man who succeeded in sorting out the set up and everything has worked more or less ok for the past 6 weeks. The TV can be slow to spring to life and without having the PVR switched on, we get the 'Weak of No Signal, Check the aerial cable connection and check saved channels' message on screen.
    Despite this, we have managed to use it all successfully, recording and watching programs as wished.

Yesterday however, we switched on and couldn't get the usual HD picture through the Humax box (the TV is 'HD ready', but doesn't have HD as such, so we view HD via the Humax). The screen was green and we couldn't access anything - the remote was rendered useless as a result too.

We have spoken at length with one of the Currys representatives on the phone this morning who, after having me pull cables out and reconnect, re-set up the Tv etc, reached the conclusion that there is something wrong with either the TV, the HD cable or the Humax! I could have told him that.

At the start of the conversation, he told my mother that they has had a lot of problems with Humax. I then mentioned that I had read a lot of comments on line which suggested that there could be a compatibility problem between Humax's box and the different TVs that is was being connected to. He disputed this and when I suggested that I may want to take this product back to the shop for a refund, he said that that would be at the discretion of the manager at that particular shop!

Has anyone else experienced the 'green screen' issue lately? I have no idea where we go from here, since I am not technical and we just want something that works!

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 10:02:43 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I've had years of problems with green screens and my humaxes with the forced upon us hdmi/hdcp rubbish system.

The first thing I'd try is a factory/default reset on the humax, no format and choose 720p as the resolution on initial install. This has worked for me in the past.

If this doesn't help then I'm stuck for suggestions. If it's the £179 samsung, then possibly adding £20 to the price will get you a 1" smaller screen i.e. the samsung 27" LT27D390SW, but with full HD screen/resolution, but again SD only freeview tuner so you'll still use the humax for HD. and I would imagine this would work with no problems, but obviously no guarantee from me, just my opinion. Remind them, if necessary, that as the two items don't work together properly that you'd be entitiled to return both and get a full refund. If you find a willing manager you may be able to swap the tv to test first, but this is based on a fair chunk of goodwill from the store.

I'm 85% sure that setting the 720p resolution on initial install will sort it, but again that's just my opinion. You also need to look into the weak aerial signal message and this may be coming from the tv tuner and not the humax tuner depending on how the aerial is connected and how the tv/humax are switched on.

For info., the HD ready is a marketing con. Somehow they invented HD and full HD. HD ready will never give you full HD. The samsung you have has a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 whereas full HD has a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. And to complicate matters more, generally people don't notice much difference between the two on smaller screens, i.e. 32" and smaller and a cheap no-name full HD can often look worse than a branded HD ready screen due to the quality or lack thereof of the components.

Let us know how you get on.

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 11:46:56 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Charlies

Hi Damian, thanks for the reply. I'm struggling to figure out how to even do a factory reset, as I can't use the remote control with the green screen - nothing happens when the remote buttons are pressed. Any clues on this one please?

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 12:13:22 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

damian - 27 minutes ago  » 
    For info., the HD ready is a marketing con. Somehow they invented HD and full HD. HD ready will never give you full HD. The samsung you have has a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 whereas full HD has a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. And to complicate matters more, generally people don't notice much difference between the two on smaller screens, i.e. 32" and smaller and a cheap no-name full HD can often look worse than a branded HD ready screen due to the quality or lack thereof of the components.
    Let us know how you get on.

To add to the confusion the latest EICTA specs specify Full-HD sets as HD Ready 1080p (this adds 1920 x 1080 playback of 1080p50/60/24.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 12:18:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Charlies - 9 minutes ago  » 
    I'm struggling to figure out how to even do a factory reset, as I can't use the remote control with the green screen - nothing happens when the remote buttons are pressed. Any clues on this one please?

You should be able to see the HDR-2000T's menus by temporarily connecting the HDR-2000T to your TV by a SCART cable.

Charlies - 2 hours ago  »  The TV can be slow to spring to life and without having the PVR switched on, we get the 'Weak of No Signal, Check the aerial cable connection and check saved channels' message on screen.

This is the default in the power option settings. You will need to change the power saving in standby option to 'off' to allow the signal to pass through the HDR-2000T to your TV when the HDR-2000T is in standby.

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 12:28:23 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum Charlies

Could you connect the unit via scart as a temporary measure?

edit: snap

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 12:29:26 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Charlies

Well I plugged a scart cable in and we seem to be going from bad to worse. Nothing works at all now - can't even get the tv channels when the pvr is switched on. All I'm getting is the Weak no Signal message. How do I change the power setting, when I can't proceed due to the above?

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 12:44:25 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Charlies - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Well I plugged a scart cable in and we seem to be going from bad to worse. Nothing works at all now - can't even get the tv channels when the pvr is switched on. All I'm getting is the Weak no Signal message. How do I change the power setting, when I can't proceed due to the above?

Assuming you have selected the appropriate scart input on the TV.
    First remove the HDMI cable both ends, does your TV now work ?

If not time to check your aerial connections. If you plug your aerial directly into the TV is the TV's tuner still working ?

If so now connect the aerial lead to the lead you use to connect the box to TV (they should just plug into each other). Does the TV tuner now work ?

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 12:48:55 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Charlies - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Damian, thanks for the reply. I'm struggling to figure out how to even do a factory reset, as I can't use the remote control with the green screen - nothing happens when the remote buttons are pressed. Any clues on this one please?

As per Barry and Lukes scart post, and if no scart available... toggling/switching through hdmi inputs on the tv, powering off and on at mains of both humax and then tv if necessary, double check hdmi lead and connections although I'm assuming green screen more to do with incompatibility rather than hdmi lead/connection issues or a defective box/tv (both possible, but unlikely), with a bit of push and pulling you should be able to get to a visible screen at some point.

Just seen your latest post, to get scart to work you'll need to switch the tv with the tv remote to AV1 or Aux or '0' or similar until you see the humax screen. I'm getting the impression you may need some friendly help from a neighbour or a second pair of eyes, setting these things up can turn into a mini nightmare at times

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 12:58:21 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Charlies

I'm just going to spend a few mins digesting all this info and then I'll probably be back with more 'numpty' questions! Thank you all so much for helping out so far!

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 13:00:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.