My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Have I Invalidated my Guarantee?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Whitemonk

I bought a Grade A HDR-Fox T2 a few months ago from Humax Digital. It arrived with a small split on the front panel, but worked okay, so I kept it.

Almost immediately, I removed the front panel display filter and loaded up the customised firmware. Now a really happy bunny. Until last weekend, that is, when it died.

After a few failed recordings, it started to ignore the remote control and repeated prodding of the front panel touch button and required a power on reset to get it to work. Finally, it never powered back up again.

Just wondering what my chances are of getting Humax to fix it under warranty, since I've obviously opened it up, before making that phone call.

| Tue 29 Jul 2014 12:09:05 #1 |
  2. Wallace

Wallace

special member

I suspect, as I have done, you broke the tamper seal when you took the lid off to remove the orange filter. If that is the case, then it is entirely possible that you have invalidated the warranty. You could make 'that call' and I am sure that Humax would repair it for you, but they might decide to charge you. Even if it did not have a tamper seal, the missing orange filter would be a dead give-away. Although you could probably put that back, depending on whether you damaged it removing it.

If I were you I would come clean and tell them that you have done and see what they say. Honesty is the best policy I feel. They could still honour the warranty as a good will gesture, but if not, they could give you an idea of cost up front.

| Tue 29 Jul 2014 16:32:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

One of my Grade A HDR Fox T2s came without the tamper sticker. If it were me I would put the orange filter back on and just claim on the warranty without saying anything. Humax take many months or years to fix software (we're still waiting for 1.03.xx for HD Fox T2 after 8 months) so I don't see why we should be forthcoming about stuff. If they were a wonderful company I would agree with telling them. But they're not, their customer service sucks. So get what you can out of them.

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 14:12:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Whitemonk

Unfortunately, the unit died before I could put the original software back on. Humax want £120-£150 to repair the unit, even though its less than four months old. Enthusiasts beware!

| Fri 8 Aug 2014 7:17:38 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

As an A grade 500GB costs £135 if I were in your position I'd keep the broken one and buy another. That way I would have spares in the form of the remote and the front display for about the same price

What did you do about your situation?

| Fri 8 Aug 2014 9:12:54 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Whitemonk

Sad I know but I've decided to cut my losses and scrap the box. At least I can reuse the HDD in my PC. Might put the remote on ebay. Bye Bye Humax.

| Fri 8 Aug 2014 14:39:01 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.