My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

HB-1000s USB HDD

(43 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

KDBCOM

Yes nice spec & a good range of sizes.

I am using existing drives as I have a few lying about & the Humax is not on my main TV. For that I am using Virgin cable with the Tivo box. Though this Humax gives me almost all the channels I watch. Am intending capturing & storing things like older films on the Humax drive.

| Thu 29 Jan 2015 11:45:46 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmartin1

Hi I have recently bought the humax to watch tv in france. As I have restricted catch up and no access to iplayer I would like to record. I'm a bit stumped by the HDD options. I looked up the WD model proposed by one member which will cost at least 75 euros. Can anyone recommend a cheaper option? Thanks in advance

| Fri 24 Jul 2015 12:11:26 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

KDBCOM

I would do a google search for a "powered external hard drive"

Some members seem to have got away with using an an unpowered 2.5" external drive but an unpowered drive normally uses very near the limit of current available on USB (usually recommended limit 500Ma) Humax did not recommend using unpowered drives when I contacted them.

There will be a multitude of powered drives available. Or you could buy a cheap PC 3.5" internal drive & get a powered 3.5" external caddy for it.

There are plenty of 3.5" drives available cheaply on UK sites & a powered 3.5" caddy will cost from about £10 on amazon or Ebay. Fitting it in is easy

Virtually all new HDDs these days are SATA so ensure that you get a SATA Caddy for it.

Most 2.5" external drive's are unpowered so beware with these as you may invalidate your warranty if the drive draws too much current.

I am using a (formatted) Seagate Replica 500 gig drive with a PSU (using a cable modification to stop feeding the 5 volts back into the Humax box) which seems to work well.

| Fri 24 Jul 2015 13:00:35 #23 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would differ in advice - go for a unpowered 2.5 WD AV drive and get a caddy.
    These power down when the PVR is in standby whereas the powered need to be unplugged/turned off. Barry has also tested some.

Whatever you get it should be an AV drive (designed for continuous use without error checking, all low power).

| Fri 24 Jul 2015 16:46:09 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I successfully used a PC power saving strip and a usb hub to control the power of the 1TB usb connected drive (switches off connected kit when the usb on the HD FOX powered down) I used for recording using a HD FOX.

| Fri 24 Jul 2015 17:37:38 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmartin1

7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmartin1

8. User has not uploaded an avatar

KDBCOM

Unfortunately REPASSAC's 2.5" drive alone (of a decent size of 1TB) would bust the questioners budget. These seem to be about £58 or 86 Euro plus the cost of a caddy.

The 1tb WD AV 3.5" version is cheaper at about £47 or 66 euro + about £10 or 16 euro for a powered caddy which will not invalidate the Humax warranty.

I personally have had no problems using non AV drives which generally appear to cost less.

Depends how close rmartin1 wants to keep to his budget

| Fri 24 Jul 2015 23:09:45 #28 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

KDBCOM - 7 hours ago  » 
    Unfortunately REPASSAC's 2.5" drive alone (of a decent size of 1TB) would bust the questioners budget. These seem to be about £58 or 86 Euro plus the cost of a caddy.
    The 1tb WD AV 3.5" version is cheaper at about £47 or 66 euro + about £10 or 16 euro for a powered caddy which will not invalidate the Humax warranty.
    I personally have had no problems using non AV drives which generally appear to cost less.
    Depends how close rmartin1 wants to keep to his budget

New non AV drives will work correctly until they age when error checking begins to fail which is why AV drives don't worry about a minor glitch.

Using an unpowered drives will not invalidate any warranty, the Humax power supply can deliver exactly what it is designed for and no more. If you fit a drive requiring more, the unit just will not work. The cost of extra electricity will mount up over the life of a powered unit, especially as it remains powered when the PVR is off.

Humax support frequently mix up models, the advice of using a powered drives was for the Foxsat which had a built in power supply. As Barry said he has tested a number of drives powed and not. https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hb-1000s-is-this-unit-pvr-ready

| Sat 25 Jul 2015 7:01:11 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

KDBCOM

I beg to differ
    Yes if you're lucky your device "just will not work" but as an ex pc engineer I have encountered several USB ports ruined due to overloading & in this case the manufacturer has every right to invalidate the warranty.
    Using a powered drive will avoid this possible problem & this is probably the reason Humax Tech Support advised me in January not to use an unpowered drive.

| Sat 25 Jul 2015 11:10:34 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.