My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

HD Fox T2 - Can't Get Software to Update

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

colin1951uk

Hi,

I just bought a brand new HD Fox T2 from Amazon but try as I may I can't get it to accept to the latest software update.

I've tried three different usb sticks, 4,8 and 16gb each formatted to FAT32 but after several attempts with each none work.

The sticks are recognized by the box (lights flash on the sticks etc when the box is booted up) and sometimes I get a menu come up for storing media (three options) which isn't what I expect to see.

The box has come with version 1.00.08 on it and I'm trying to get it up to 1.02.29. I have tried an earlier software update just to see if that would get anywhere but it ended up with the same result.

Is there a trick to doing this or might the box be faulty?

Cheers...Colin

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 19:03:42 #1 |
  2. Wallace

Wallace

special member

Make sure that your update file is called 'hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf' and in the root directory of your USB stick.

I have heard the the HDR can be a bit picky as to which USB stick manufacturer that it 'likes'. You could try a different stick manufacturer, although you have already said that you have tried 3 different ones, were they from the same manufacturer?

You could also try the other USB port. Either the one on the rear or front.

HTH.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 19:18:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

colin1951uk

I have the HD box (not the recorder) so I have just the one usb port on the back.

My file is called 'hd_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf' and yes I put it in the root directory (not hidden in a folder and no other files on the sticks.)

The three sticks I have are Verbatim, HP and Sandisk so if anyone knows of a stick that works maybe they could share the brand so that I don't spend a fortune on buying more items that might be useless.

I'll also have a word with Humax support in the morning and see if they can help.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 20:35:18 #3 |
  4. brian

brian

special member

If you are talking about the HD-FOX T2, place the box in standby, plug your USB stick in, then press and hold the power button until you see the update procedure begin.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 20:36:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

The HD can be a bit tricky and the update procedure is different to the HDR.

I'm sure Wallace meant the hd_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf and HD for the hd_fox_t2 and the file does need to be in the root directory of the usb stick.

Reformat the 4GB usb stick again and make sure you do not do a quick format, but a full format.
    extract the hdf file from the zip update file as necessary and copy the hd_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf to the usb stick.
    power off the hd_fox_t2 at socket.
    plug the usb stick into the hd_fox_t2
    hold the standby button in, front left handside of hd_fox_t2 and whilst keeping standby button pressed in reconnect hd_fox_t2 to power, i.e. switch wall socket back on, plug back in etc. etc.
    The update procedure should start and download the file off the usb stick onto the hd_fox_t2.
    Once the file has downloaded you can let go of the standby button, by this time the update process should have started.

I've just seen Brian has commented as well, it's so long since we've had an update I think most people have forgotten all about updates for this box, but it should be straightforward, just follow the instructions exactly, in particular full format of the 4GB usb stick, don't assume you can miss this step

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 20:47:53 #5 |
  6. brian

brian

special member

Damian
    re your procedure, there is no need to power the box off at the socket, it just needs to be in standby. All that is required is to press and hold the power button until the update procedure begins, this is usually within a few seconds.

I have never had to format a USB memory stick, and currently use an 8 GB Lexar Jumpdrive for updating all of my boxes.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 21:00:41 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

thanks Brian, I'll try that again, if we ever get a new update.

In the past I've only ever managed to update mine by powering off and I'm sure I've held the standby button for a while, maybe not long enough

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 21:06:19 #7 |
  8. Wallace

Wallace

special member

My apologies, my eye's deceived me. I went off at a tangent, having 'read' HDR not HD. DOH.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 21:11:56 #8 |
  9. brian

brian

special member

Mine has been updated fairly frequently with custom firmware, and I have never had a problem getting the update process to work.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 21:13:38 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

colin1951uk - 30 minutes ago  » 

The three sticks I have are Verbatim, HP and Sandisk so if anyone knows of a stick that works maybe they could share the brand so that I don't spend a fortune on buying more items that might be useless.

From my own experiences and what I have previously read I'd like to emphasis something damian posted concerning the format of the stick. Reformat but select 'full format' (to fat32) and totally avoid using 'quick format'.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 21:16:01 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.