My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

HDD continuous seeking

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

gerryburne

[quote]For the past week or so my box has been making a sound that I think is the HDD R/W head continuously jumping to different tracks. I can stop it with a power down and re-boot, but when I use the box to watch TV it starts up again and contonues after I put the box on standby.

Any thoughts?

| Wed 12 Jun 2013 11:15:24 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

gerryburne - 43 minutes ago  » 
    [quote]For the past week or so my box has been making a sound that I think is the HDD R/W head continuously jumping to different tracks. I can stop it with a power down and re-boot, but when I use the box to watch TV it starts up again and contonues after I put the box on standby.

The hard drive moving its heads around whilst the box is active is normal although if it has got much louder recently this is worrying. The box not going into standby properly has (at least) a couple of possible causes. Do you have one (but not both) of Power On Timer or Power Off Timer? It is usually best to have none or both. The second possible cause is a corrupt recording. This is tricky to find without using the custom firmware.

| Wed 12 Jun 2013 12:05:13 #2 |
  3. athomson

athomson

special member

If it was my T2 I would:

- Install the custom firmware.
    - Run a disk check via Telnet.
    - Copy off any recordings I want to keep making sure to remove encryption.
    - Contact Humax or the retailer you bought it from about a possible replacement depending on how old it is. Humax may suggest another remedy.

If you do need a replacement dont forget to remove the custom firmware via Telnet before you pack it up to go back.

Andy

| Thu 13 Jun 2013 12:06:49 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

gerryburne

Thank you Martin and Andy and sorry for the delay in replying.

No, I do not use POWER ON/OFF Timers.

Sorry, I do not know anything about custom firmware, where to find it, how to install it, or what it does.

I do not know how to run a disk check via Telnet.

I am that bad that I did't even know there was an encription option on recordings but even if I had known I am sure that I wouldn't have used it. I have never even strayed away from the simple to remember '0000' password.

I thought about copying the valued recordings from my 'Good Stuff' folder onto DVD's and then restoring to factory settings but this would be a long process so I thought it would be better to seek advice from the fourm before undertaking such a project.

The box is more than 12 months old and so is out of warranty.

My request for technical help from Humax immediately after purchase (regarding codes to get the remote to control my Sony AV receiver) was not responded to even after chasing. I have zero expectation that Humax respond to the email address they provide for technical queries and can only be grateful that you guys at the forum are there to provide this sort of support.

Now for the good news: While I have been away, my box has stopped doing the continuous seek that it was doing previously when on standby i.e. it would appear that it has fixed what ever was the problem itself before it destroyed its HDD. For the present, therefore, I can revert to "If it aint broke then dont fix it" mode, but many thanks to both of you for your kind advice.

Sincerely

Gerry Burne

| Sun 16 Jun 2013 10:42:46 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Most Humax gear has a 2 year warranty if you registered it with Humax.

| Sun 16 Jun 2013 10:44:25 #5 |
  6. athomson

athomson

special member

All the custom firmware and instructions can be found from the link http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads if you need them in the future.

Andy

| Mon 17 Jun 2013 6:32:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

gerryburne

Thank you Andy

I have had a quick browse by following the link that you provided and concluded that the subject will require a significant chunk of uninterrupted time to take in what it is all about and how it may be used.

Meantime, happily, my T2 has not gone back to performing obsessive head seeks on standby which it was doing for a couple of weeks before I raised the issue with the fourm.

Best wishes

Gerry

| Mon 17 Jun 2013 10:26:31 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.