My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

HDD from USB HUB does not work

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Round14

Sorry if this has already been raised. I have a HD-FOX-T2 and was running with my external hdd in the rear usb socket. I then decided to enable the wifi so purchased a humax compatible wifi dongle and also a new USB hub for a few quid. I did have an old usb hub but when I tested it out the hdd did not work. I have since installed a new usb hub (both were powered hubs) and the hdd is still not recognised, the wifi works great through the hub. I have had to revert back to just putting the hdd back in for now and when I want the portal swap them over. Any ideas why it doesn't recognise the hdd through the hub.

| Mon 29 Oct 2012 14:39:23 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to the forum. I have a 1TB powered drive connected via an unpowered hub to my HD FOX T2, this works OK. One of the other hub outputs is used with a PC usb power saving cable to tutn off the power to the hdd when the box is in sby.

If the drive is usb powered it might be worth trying to power it seperately.

| Mon 29 Oct 2012 14:56:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Round14

Thanks for the fast response Graham, the hdd is USB powered excuse me if I sound thick how can I power it seperately as it only has a usb connector. Do you think this power saving cable could help?

If it cannot be done I would purchase another external hdd drive that is recommended and known to work with a usb hub on the humax box. I must admit the HDD currently used was cheap and cheerful off ebay and I'm not sure of the make off hand but it works fine on its own.

| Mon 29 Oct 2012 16:22:14 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Round14 - 39 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the fast response Graham, the hdd is USB powered excuse me if I sound thick how can I power it seperately as it only has a usb connector. Do you think this power saving cable could help?
    If it cannot be done I would purchase another external hdd drive that is recommended and known to work with a usb hub on the humax box. I must admit the HDD currently used was cheap and cheerful off ebay and I'm not sure of the make off hand but it works fine on its own.

Usb powered drives often come with a usb cable with 2 plugs one is fully wired the second has only power connections. The idea is to use two usb ports with one of them only providing additional current. With one of these a USB power gizmo can be used to provide more current to the drive. It could simply be the hub power unit can't run the drive and wifi dongle at the same time.

| Mon 29 Oct 2012 17:06:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Round14

Thanks Graham, sorry it has taken a while for me to reply, yes the drive had 2 usb plugs. Tried plugging into 2 ports on the usb hub but still the same. I have tried 2 usb hubs now so I think the drive cannot cope unless its plugged directly into the humax single usb port. I will stick to manually swapping over at the moment and when it starts to really annoy me invest in a hdd that works well on a usb hub. Any recomendations on what manufacturer external hdd I should go for? Also should it be powered or usb powered.

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 10:17:22 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Can't really recommend amything other than the drive I am currently using, it's a usb3 1TB drive from Aldi, which I already had. Hopefully others will advise what works. Because it has it's own power supply, current requirements not really an issue. In retrospect I would probably get a low power AV type drive and install it in a usb enclosure. Suitable enclosures are not very expensive.

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 10:36:04 #6 |
  7. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

I have a USB enclosure for a 2.5" drive that has a 5v socket on it that can be used in case there is insufficient power from the USB port, also an Iomega portable drive which has a similar power port. The power input is similar to the older Nokia phone power supplies.
    May be worth a try.

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 21:02:19 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Round14

Thanks for the posts. I will keep you updated.

| Fri 2 Nov 2012 16:18:03 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.