My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

HDMI Output Quality

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rjd60

I have had my Foxsat HDR for several years with general satisfaction but recently I got a new Sony TV which has a satellite tuner built in and I find I prefer the TV satellite picture when compared to the same channel fed from the Humax via HDMI: to my eyes it seems brighter and sharper.

What causes the difference, and can I do anything about it? I can watch a channel directly on the TV but I'd like to get the same picture when I record it on the Humax.

I compare an HD channel (BBC1, say). The two feeds into the TV and the Humax come from the same satellite. The signal quality is good. The Humax output is 1080i (V-FORMAT on the remote) which is the same as the satellite input on the TV. And I have applied the same settings on the TV to both input sources (the Sony allows you to apply settings across all inputs). Have I missed anything?

Is there some processing of the satellite signal on the Humax that I can't change?

Would I see a difference if I upgraded to the current model?

Thanks for any advice.

| Thu 13 Nov 2014 15:10:18 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

your TV will be processing the picture, for years they've had different modes, even a demo mode, to make them stand out when put side by side in a showroom. Quite often it makes the picture brighter, more vivid.
    You need to look at your TV manual, there'll be different modes, I guess, for sport, cinema, action, news, tv, as well as user defined etc. etc. and you'll probably have a choice as well on the type on input, i.e. games box, PC, set top box, etc. etc. all of which will do different things to the signal. On mine I leave it on as a PC input as it's the only one that I can guarantee will display the resolution pixel for pixel on the TV screen, I also leave most of the modes and twiddling/tweaking off.

You say the Sony allows the settings to be made across all inputs; however does it allow separate settings as well?
    You won't be able to tweak any of the Humax output on any model as it feeds the raw signal just as the broadcaster intended it to be, good or bad, and I'm sure; however dont't know 100%, that that is the same for all of the Humax range - I've never noticed a difference on any of the Humaxes I have here.

The beeb used to display a test card, along with audio tests as well, which is really useful if you can pause/freeze the Sony picture and pause the Humax at the same time, if it's no longer available and your Sony can pause/freeze then it's still well worth while pausing different types of programme on both and checking/tweaking for a picture that works best for you.

| Thu 13 Nov 2014 15:46:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rjd60

Thanks. The TV does have those various modes and I have chosen Custom as the best. That would allow me to change all kinds of things to a level of detail I don't understand but I have changed nothing because the default settings look fine. All the processing options (for motion, etc.) are turned off and other settings at neutral so I guess it's as close as it gets to doing nothing. But in any case, because I have made the settings common across all inputs, it really shouldn't matter what I have done. If the signal is really the same from both sources then the picture should appear the same when displayed. I have had another pass through the options and I can't find anything else I could change that would affect it.

You say you are not 100% sure that there is no processing done on the Humax, and I still see that as the most likely explanation for the difference, so I wonder if anyone can confirm one way or the other?

Or perhaps someone has the same combination and can provide an opinion? The TV is a Sony KDL-46W905A.

| Sun 16 Nov 2014 11:44:21 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.