My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000s Keeps rebooting.

(343 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Teb5 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well it has been three days since I done the factory reset that you suggested and it has been working fine, although I have not been here a lot of the time to see if it had done a reboot, but today it decided to reboot itself again, no other problems, just rebooted itself and went back to the program I was watching. So are you saying that there is nothing else I can try and should return it to the store as a faulty unit?

Only other thing you can try is a hard disk format which of course will delete your recordings (As will returning the box for a replacement of course).

| Fri 13 Dec 2013 18:09:11 #11 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Mine also randomly reboots itself now and then. It doesn't happen very often so not a major concern for me at the moment, but it is a bit weird why it even does it at all.

| Fri 13 Dec 2013 18:30:56 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

-gonzo- - 3 hours ago  » 
    Mine also randomly reboots itself now and then. It doesn't happen very often so not a major concern for me at the moment, but it is a bit weird why it even does it at all.

Well at last I have found someone else with the same problem, I was beginning to think I was the only one!! I agree with you, looking at the problems some other people are having this is no big deal, as it only happens every two or three days, but it should not really happen should it? the most common time that my one does it is around 3pm so others may have the problem but don't notice because they are at work, although it has happened twice in the evening, once when I was recording and of course it also stopped the recording. It defiantly is not a power cut, So I am wondering if it may be the power pack that is faulty. I can deal with it if it happens when I am just watching TV but if I am recording it becomes a pain. Not sure what I should do, if I exchange it I could end up with some of the bigger problems some are having, not to mention that my wife will probably no longer talk to me because she will lose all her recordings. Do Humax have a marriage guidance councillor?

| Fri 13 Dec 2013 22:09:28 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 

Teb5 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well it has been three days since I done the factory reset that you suggested and it has been working fine, although I have not been here a lot of the time to see if it had done a reboot, but today it decided to reboot itself again, no other problems, just rebooted itself and went back to the program I was watching. So are you saying that there is nothing else I can try and should return it to the store as a faulty unit?

Only other thing you can try is a hard disk format which of course will delete your recordings (As will returning the box for a replacement of course).

Well Graham I am not sure what I should do, If it was not full of recordings I would take it back tomorrow, but I know my wife would not be happy. Another question for you, when I upgrade my home computer I always make sure my hard-drive is wiped clean so that there is no personal info left on it before I pass it on. This has a hard-drive and I have my post code on it, plus we often use a usb stick to view family holiday videos and photos as well as listen to mp3's The music does not bother me, but can the videos or photos be retrieved? Just that my son mentioned it and said I may not be able to clear our post code or other personal history. Sorry, but anything to do with computers or this kind of thing I leave to my son, but he said he is not sure how this works compared to a computer.

| Fri 13 Dec 2013 22:26:24 #14 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A factory reset and a disk format should clear all.

| Sat 14 Dec 2013 8:36:20 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can copy all the contents you uploaded to a usb harddisk. Your postcode can be reset by simply doing a freesat tune. You could always use a different postcode (you only need the first 3 characters anyway so that will cover hundreds of potential addresses). I doubt any of this is on the hard drive anyway it will be held in NVram.

| Sat 14 Dec 2013 11:00:42 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

REPASSAC - 6 hours ago  » 
    A factory reset and a disk format should clear all.

Well I was hoping that would be the case, but with computers my son has always done a secure disc wipe before we pass them on just to make sure, not something you can do on the Humax, but then maybe I am just being a little over paranoid.

| Sat 14 Dec 2013 15:35:48 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 
    You can copy all the contents you uploaded to a usb harddisk. Your postcode can be reset by simply doing a freesat tune. You could always use a different postcode (you only need the first 3 characters anyway so that will cover hundreds of potential addresses). I doubt any of this is on the hard drive anyway it will be held in NVram.

Thanks Graham, I had no idea that you could transfer from USB to the Humax hard-drive, how do you do that? we have been viewing directly from the USB, thought that was all you could do!!!

Until I joined this forum I thought that you had to use your full postcode, but when I done the refresh that you advised I just used the first part and it worked fine, just that I thought it may store a log of previous entry's. I am afraid you will have to humor me a little because I am very security conscious as a result of having my bank details stolen a couple of years back.

I think I will do the same as "gonzo" in as much if the problem only continues to happen occasionally then I think we will accept it rather than have to lose all our recordings then risk getting a replacement that could have a far worse problem. It has been six months since the last software update, so hopefully there will be a new update soon that will fix a few of these silly and annoying bugs

| Sat 14 Dec 2013 15:46:39 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can't copy recordings made from Freeview channels. I was under the impression you had uploaded your own video/Photo/Music content to the internal hard disk. It's only these you can copy off again to a usb device. There's no way the box will remember previous postcodes. There will be a few bytes of memory in the relatively expensive NVram to hold the postcode. If you change it the previous contents will be overwritten. It's not like what happens on a Windows PC when you delete a file you do not really delete it, just change a few bytes that tell the OS where the contents is. The Humax boxes use a Linux operating system, when you delete a hard disk file under Linux it's really deleted. That's why if you delete a lot of files it takes a while for the HDD space indicator to show the extra recording space available.

To upload content to the hard disk. Insert the usb drive. A on screen menu will come up, choose Copy to HDD. Alternatively Home - Humax Choose Video Music or Photo depending on what you wish to upload. Select the file you want to upload using OK. Choose the copy option.

| Sat 14 Dec 2013 16:45:09 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

grahamlthompson - 8 minutes ago  » 
    You can't copy recordings made from Freeview channels. I was under the impression you had uploaded your own video/Photo/Music content to the internal hard disk. It's only these you can copy off again to a usb device. There's no way the box will remember previous postcodes. There will be a few bytes of memory in the relatively expensive NVram to hold the postcode. If you change it the previous contents will be overwritten. It's not like what happens on a Windows PC when you delete a file you do not really delete it, just change a few bytes that tell the OS where the contents is. The Humax boxes use a Linux operating system, when you delete a hard disk file under Linux it's really deleted. That's why if you delete a lot of files it takes a while for the HDD space indicator to show the extra recording space available.
    To upload content to the hard disk. Insert the usb drive. A on screen menu will come up, choose Copy to HDD. Alternatively Home - Humax Choose Video Music or Photo depending on what you wish to upload. Select the file you want to upload using OK. Choose the copy option.

Thanks for coming back Graham. I know nothing about Linux operating system, but it sounds like once files are deleted then that's it. I am aware that you are unable to copy free-sat programs to usb, because of copy-write infringement, but I had no idea you could transfer media files to the internal hard-drive. Is there a thread here that explains how one does that? There is certainly nothing about it in the very comprehensive Humax instruction manual.

| Sat 14 Dec 2013 17:03:24 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.