My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000S - nice kit, but UI needs declunkifying

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rkl

I've had my HDR 1000S for a few months now and I generally like it, but the UI seems to have been designed with someone who doesn't understand that the best DVR UIs use the *least* number of remote control button presses to navigate around.

Examples where I get very frustrated with the number (or functionality) of remote control button presses are:

* An extra level of menu items is presented almost everywhere e.g. if I have a recording or nedia file highlighted, there's no single button to play it. OK goes into a further sub-menu and I have to press OK again to play it!

* The criminal lack of the use of the 4 coloured remote control "text" buttons in the UI. If you search around, you'll find a few places where they're used (in the On Demand apps for example) but they're invisible in the vast majority of the UI. The 4 coloured buttons are *screaming* to be used as one-button shortcuts (like I believe Sky boxes do).

* Inconsistent use of the left arrow for going all the way back up the UI menu tree drives me nuts. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and you have use the Back button instead. Why can't both be used?

* It takes far too many button presses to play a media file on USB/DLNA - it's buried in Humax -> Video -> USB -> scroll to file -> OK to select -> OK a second time to play. A minimum of 10 remote control button presses

| Sun 31 Aug 2014 12:02:42 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

rkl - 10 minutes ago  » 
    but the UI seems to have been designed with someone who doesn't understand that the best DVR UIs use the *least* number of remote control button presses to navigate around.

Your not wrong there, the UI is all Freesats handy work.

| Sun 31 Aug 2014 12:15:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

Yep got to agree worst UI i have every seen, makes using it hard work sometimes.

All1

| Sun 31 Aug 2014 20:35:33 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Every criticism that you could possibly make of the EPG/UI has been previously flagged to Freesat by numerous posters on the official Freesat forum (now disbanded), as well as here and on DigitalSpy. Almost all have been quietly ignored.
    I remember when the official Freesat forum was launched shortly after the box. The lead guy on the forum introduced himself as having led the team that engineered the hardware/software platform, and added that he had worked on PVR development for 25 years. Subsequently I seriously wondered what exactly he had been doing for those years because this is not a good platform.

| Sun 31 Aug 2014 21:08:03 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

As Pollensa says, we have been banging on about the UI (not quietly) since Noah was a lad. Freesat used to say they were listening and I say yes! just like how a man listens to his wife.

I think the UI was designed by committee one Friday afternoon following a liquid lunch. My right arm is now like Popeye's from all the extra button pressing.

| Sun 31 Aug 2014 23:41:48 #5 |
  6. gomezz

gomezz

special member

rkl - 20 hours ago  » 
    e.g. if I have a recording or nedia file highlighted, there's no single button to play it. OK goes into a further sub-menu and I have to press OK again to play it!

While I agree that in general Humax UIs are amongst the clunkiest around does not pressing Play (instead of OK) start playback without the extra sub-menu? This is how it works on my Foxsat HDR and Youview boxes.

| Mon 1 Sep 2014 8:24:44 #6 |
  7. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

gomezz - 1 hour ago  » 

rkl - 20 hours ago  » 
    e.g. if I have a recording or nedia file highlighted, there's no single button to play it. OK goes into a further sub-menu and I have to press OK again to play it!

While I agree that in general Humax UIs are amongst the clunkiest around does not pressing Play (instead of OK) start playback without the extra sub-menu? This is how it works on my Foxsat HDR and Youview boxes.

Yes, it does indeed work that way too.
    Also if your using the Freesat app you can just drag and drop for playback aswell. (Currently for iOS, I think Android is awaiting an update)

| Mon 1 Sep 2014 9:33:18 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.