My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1000s: no sound when watching on-demand

(4 posts)
  1. Wobblyhead

Wobblyhead

Hi - hope someone can advise...!

I have just installed a new Humax HDR1000s (1TB) system in place of a Sky HD+. I've connected it exactly the same way as that box was - HDMI into a Panasonic SoundBar Amp then HDMI onto the TV (a Panasonic HDTV). I've not connected the optical output to the amp.

Have gigabit Ethernet connecting to 13Mb broadband service. Excellent satellite signals. The HDR has the latest firmware.

Because I have a reasonably good sound-bar system with 3.1 setup, I want to have multi-channel sound as I enjoyed with the Sky HD+ system. I've set the Digital Audio Output setting to Multi-Channel and all seems fine with live and recorded TV. (I've connected the systems this way to take advantage of the Viera link system to turn on / off the sound-system automatically)

If I select a programme from a day or so ago that launches the BBC iPlayer, or I go directly to 4OD, ITV Player or even YouTube, I get a picture but no sound! If I change the Digital Audio Output to stereo, I do get sound !!

What's going on? This is not a viable way forward, I don't want to have to faff about switching sound output if I choose to watch on-demand. Nor do I want to leave the sound setting to stereo as this removes the surround sound effects - I might as well use my TV speakers!

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Steve

| Tue 3 Feb 2015 14:59:37 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I suspect the issue lies with your soundbar and the way it handles whatever audio happens to be on the OD content usually aac), or what the box converts it to.

Can you search for a 5.1 audio test on Youtube, using a HDR1000S that will give you DD2.0 (the same as you get from most HD channel broadcasts). Note the audio isn't in 5.1 (only 2.0), not sure why the HDR1000S only gets 2.0 (A HDR FOX T2 is the same, only stereo).

Can you hear the sound as per a normal broadcast ?

| Tue 3 Feb 2015 15:31:08 #2 |
  3. Wobblyhead

Wobblyhead

Thanks Graham.

I tried a couple of things last night - will experiment more tonight. What I found out is that when watching live HD channels, the Humax outputs Dolby Digital signals to the Home Theatre Audio System (a Panasonic SC-HTB770), and when watching SD it outputs PCM. I also noticed that the volume was different!

When I select to watch iPlayer the audio system indicates it's getting a PCM input (whether I select to watch iPlayer in SD or HD mode). I didn't check whether the Humax switches to this on iPlayer invocation or the audio system remembered the last signal type used - will check later.

The audio system can handle LPCM, Dolby Digital, DTS Surround Sound inputs via HDMI or Optical.

I will try connecting via the optical connection as well and let you know what I find. Will also try a direct HDMI to the TV.

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 9:14:12 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Wobblyhead - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Graham.
    I tried a couple of things last night - will experiment more tonight. What I found out is that when watching live HD channels, the Humax outputs Dolby Digital signals to the Home Theatre Audio System (a Panasonic SC-HTB770), and when watching SD it outputs PCM. I also noticed that the volume was different!
    When I select to watch iPlayer the audio system indicates it's getting a PCM input (whether I select to watch iPlayer in SD or HD mode). I didn't check whether the Humax switches to this on iPlayer invocation or the audio system remembered the last signal type used - will check later.
    The audio system can handle LPCM, Dolby Digital, DTS Surround Sound inputs via HDMI or Optical.
    I will try connecting via the optical connection as well and let you know what I find. Will also try a direct HDMI to the TV.

Your box SD volume control basic level can be set by using the box remote control level, set it to match the DD output from HD channels.

I don't have any issues with on demand audio (connection via HDMI to a Sony AV receiver) and analogue to a modulator to send video and audio to a remote TV.

The audio used on SD channels is MP2 (Mpeg 1 Layer 2) which the box outputs as lpcm stereo.

HD channels use AC3 (2.0 or 5.1) which is output as is (unless of course you turn off Surround Sound which then forces the box to output lpcm stereo).

Most on demand content uses aac audio which I imagine the box outputs as DD2.0 or lpcm, but as I posted some Youtube content is DD2.0 and the box outputs this as is. In theory your amp should be able to handle this.

The only other thing I can think of is that there is a problem with your sound system and the HDR1000S EDID signal interchange which resukts in your Amp telling the HDR1000S it can't handle the audio data so the amp doesn't send it via hdmi. If that's the case the audio should work OK using S/Pdif.

I have Youtube on a Panasonic TV and also Amazon Prime. Even using the Youtube app on the TV I can't get 5.1 from my TV from videos claiming DD5.1 content. I know my TV is capable of outputting 5.1 from an app because I get it on Amazon Prime content.

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 12:18:25 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.