My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1000S software version UKSFAA 2.02.01 problem?

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

Hi

From September my TV every 15 to 20 minutes started to do an HDMI1 handshake with the screen blanking and flashing for a few seconds before the TV picture returned. My Humax HDR-1000S is connected to the TV's HDMI1 and it is in standby mode when the handshaking happens!

Initially the TV was a Panasonic TX-26LXD70 but lately it has been a Panasonic TX-L32G10B. Both TVs exhibit the same issue.

I rang Humax support who told me it was a faulty HDMI cable.

To test their theory I replaced the HDMI cable with a brand new one but it made no difference.

Next, I moved the Humax cable to the TV's HDMI2 port and the Bluray player to HDMI1. The HDMI handshake problem no longer occurred. Putting the cables back caused the problem to happen again.

On both Panasonic TVs the HDMI1 port is different from the TV's other HDMI ports in that it does an auto wakeup(?) when the device that is connected to it is switched on (from standby in the case of the Humax). This does not happen when a device is connected to the TV's other HDMI ports.

As the problems started in September it raises the possibility that the software version UKSFAA 2.02.01 released on 02 Sep 2014 is the cause of the problem I have described above.

Any thoughts from you experts reading this forum?

Thanks

Paul

| Tue 11 Nov 2014 16:50:57 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Paul - a long shot - do you use the freesat app and have it paired? The "15 to 20 minutes" is suspicious.

| Tue 11 Nov 2014 16:55:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

Repassac

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Yes I do have the Freesat App installed. It is the Android version and it is paired with the Humax HDR-1000S.

I got a Freesat email informing me that the Android App was available on 17 Jul 2014 and I believe I installed it on that day.

So could this be the culprit?

Paul

| Tue 11 Nov 2014 17:24:30 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

PaulMcI - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Repassac
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
    Yes I do have the Freesat App installed. It is the Android version and it is paired with the Humax HDR-1000S.
    I got a Freesat email informing me that the Android App was available on 17 Jul 2014 and I believe I installed it on that day.
    So could this be the culprit?
    Paul

No could be about it. The box boots up from sby in those time scale 24/7 to check for schedule changes. I imagine it can't do much for the service life of the HDD.

If it was myself I would only pair the app when on extended holiday.

I guess the box doesn't have the hardware to implement a Wake On LAN feature.

| Tue 11 Nov 2014 17:47:54 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

Graham

So you are you saying that the Freesat App is definitely the cause of my HDMI1 sync problem?

If so, how can your theory be tested?

Would switching off my Android phone for the period of the testing be sufficient or would I have to uninstall the App?

Thanks

Paul

| Tue 11 Nov 2014 21:23:52 #5 |
  6. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

PaulMcI - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Graham
    So you are you saying that the Freesat App is definitely the cause of my HDMI1 sync problem?
    Would switching off my Android phone for the period of the testing be sufficient or would I have to uninstall the App?
    Thanks
    Paul

Press Settings, select Freesat ID and unpair the app from the box and that will stop the box from booting up every 15-20 mins. You can still use the app for remote control purposes, but won't be able to set recordings.
    If you'd rather keep the app paired with the box then try turning off HDMI CEC on your tv and see if that helps.

| Tue 11 Nov 2014 21:33:03 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

PaulMcI - 12 hours ago  » 
    Graham
    Thanks
    Paul

As you already posted HDMI1 on a Panasonic TV has a non standard auto select that selects the port based on port activity. If the TV is on and the box wakes from full sby to recording sby (as it does 15 minutes before a recording is due) then the TV switches to HDMI1. Moving to a different port will stop this but as Gonzo says if CEC control is enabled on the TV that may cause a similar issue.

To allow the APP to allow remote scheduling when paired the box boots to low power sby every 15-20 minutes so it can check over it's lan connection if you have made a schedule change. Other than the fact that it happens every 15 minutes or so a wake from sby to make a reording will do the same thing in respect of the TV changing it's input selection.

| Wed 12 Nov 2014 9:40:34 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

Sorry for the delay in replying as I was away.

Gonzo

My Panasonic TV's setup does not have HDMI CEC option.

Graham

I will now keep my Humax box connected to HDMI2 to stop the sync screen problem on HDMI1.

The waking up every 15-20 minutes to allow Humax box to check for Freesat APP remote scheduling makes sense.

Not sure the Humax does the same thing when it wakes from standby to start a recording as I have several TV series set to record and I have been watching the TV when their recordings have started and I don't remember seeing the HDMI1 sync screen.

Thanks to all for taking time to reply.

Paul McIlfatrick

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 16:47:04 #8 |
  9. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

PaulMcI - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry for the delay in replying as I was away.
    Gonzo
    My Panasonic TV's setup does not have HDMI CEC option.

It may be called something else.
    Panasonic - VIERA Link or HDAVI Control or EZ-Sync

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 16:57:11 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

Gonzo

You are correct, it is VIERA Link on the Panasonic TV. This has the options: Player1, Player2 or Others with Player1 currently selected.

I have a Bluray player connected to HDMI1 and pressing the VIERA Link button and then Access wakes it up.

As I said above, I am keeping the Humax box on HDMI2 so the sync screen is no longer an issue.

Thanks again

Paul

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 18:10:32 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.