My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1000S/1TB not able to set recordings from EPG

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

POC

Hi there. Just registered, so first post. Hope no one minds, but I'll jump straight in with a question.

I am hoping that someone can help me here with a weird problem, which is described in the topic title.

First, this isn't actually a issue I'm having...but it is an issue my aged aunt is having with her brand new Humax HDR-1000S/1TB... which I got for her to replace her Sky box. But as she lives 350 miles (UK) away from me I can only help her out over the phone.

My PVR is a Humax HDR FOX T2 hooked up to a Samsung combo freesat/freeview tele so I am completely 'blind' as to what my aunt is seeing when describing the menus and EPG to me, well other than the few images I've got in front of me in the manual I downloaded from Humax. So just like with phone support for operating systems, I am left attempting to visualise her navigating the menus as the button presses as she is describing them.

The issue as she described it, and as I went through with her, is that for some very strange reason she seems not to be able to set scheduled recordings via the Humax HDR-1000S/1TB TV Guide. I am confused as from my own experience it is usually one of the simplest things to do on a Humax PVR.

After going round and round trying to get her to set a recording via the EPG I got my aunt to tap in 101 on the remote to change to BBC One HD. Then had her press 'TV Guide' on the remote to bring up the EPG. From the images I found online and in the manual I see that the guide is different to mine and she has to navigate right until the later programmes for the channel become visible. After navigating right, she then selects the programme she wants to record and presses the red R button on the remote to set a scheduled recording (also tried to do this by pressing ok on remote). This produces options. First (if I recall) she tells me that the option to record in HD is presented, which she selects by pressing 'OK' and then she is presented with the option to record a single episode or the whole series. She chooses to record the whole series and presses OK. But then at that point she tells me that she gets dumped back to the TV Guide and the recording is not set. She checks recordings and nothing is visible.

I have also got my aunt to directly hit the record button when watching a TV programme and she says that it starts to record so instant record seems to work, just not via EPG.

Please can someone help me out here. If this isn't a fault, I have to be able to guide my aunt through the correct process of button presses to make scheduled recordings. I thought I'd cracked it the other day after getting her (over the phone) to switch over the twin sat cable, ethernet, and HDMI from her old Sky box to the Hummy and get the box up and running. But now the most simple act of making a scheduled recording has bamboozled me...well her then me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

POC S

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 15:09:39 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Your aunt does not appear to be doing anything wrong, however, caveat - 101 on freesat is BBC SD not HD so she would not see the record icon annotated to the programme if she has set it to record in HD until she pages down in the guide.

Do the timers appear in planned recordings list:

Home, highlight recordings press ok, highlight planned should list timers.

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 15:20:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

POC

Hello Barry

Thanks for replying. I'll have to get back to you on progress as my aunt has gone out with neighbours to an Xmas do this evening. I'll no doubt speak to her tomorrow and post here to update info and or if the problem is resolved.

Thanks again.

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 17:21:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

As a useful shortcut, if she knows the name of the programme she wants to record, she can find it quickly using the Search.

Press search, enter the first few characters of a significant word of the programme title (for instance 'EAS') and the programme should appear in the results list. She can then select it and set the recording, provided the box is working as it should.

Not a solution to the EPG problem, but worth being aware of.

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 17:25:31 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Deleted.

| Sat 13 Dec 2014 17:31:07 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

POC

Hello again

Thankyou very much. The advice here was absolutely spot on and the issue is now completely resolved.

The issue was very simple but twofold:

As advised in the reply above, first, the R symbol simply wasn't visible after setting a recording because English BBC One HD is not CH 101 (it has changed everywhere else) so would of course not be visible in the guide when setting the recording for that channel ...my mistake therefore.

But what was compounding the problem was that my Aunt was selecting 'recordings' after setting a recording and telling me that there were no recordings set. She did this procedure a dozen times and insisted each and every time that no recordings had been set. However, the next morning this proved not to be the case at all as she now informs me that recordings were made whilst she was out gallivanting. Phew!

So, in summary, I think the final bit - where my aunt should have also highlighted 'Planned' to see the scheduled recordings after setting them - was omitted. I wasn't aware of that extra step to be honest and it was a tad difficult getting her to describe what was in front of her over the phone to guide her through it...she was just pretty adamant it was too difficult and wasn't working and that she should have stuck with her Sky box...which was her having just a bit of a hissy fit... and of course she is no longer of that opinion now that it all works for her

Thanks again.

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 11:21:07 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Good news, thank you for updating us.

Setting a recording via 101 and selecting HD has caught me out before - wondering why no rec symbol.

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 12:12:55 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.