My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR-2000T— HD Channels driving me MAD.

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Matmcr

Hello,

I have had a Humax HDR-2000T since Dec last year, and although the standard digital channels are fine, we constantly get problems on all the HD channels with the black screen popping up intermittingly with the message “The receiver is not receiving a signal or the signal is too weak“.

I have manually tuned the individual channels to the strongest/nearest transmitter (Winter Hill) and the signal strength and quality of the HD channels indicated seem totally fine on the on-screen tuning dialogue, with no drop offs (both around the 97%-100 mark).

I have tried three different HDMI cables and if I do put the aerial straight into my Sony Bravia, the HD channels are perfect with no errors. Surely, if this was an aerial issue then I would be getting similar problems on the Bravia?

Having said that, It does seem worse when it is bad weather but the signal strength still remains really strong when I check the tuning menu.

Anyone any advice or have had similar problems?

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 14:26:11 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Matmcr - 1 hour ago  » 
    Having said that, It does seem worse when it is bad weather but the signal strength still remains really strong when I check the tuning menu.

How far away from Winter Hill are you (if unsure give the first part of your post code)?

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 16:13:21 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Matmcr

I'm south Manchester (M16) and I've checked on the coverage checker on digitaluk.co.uk... my most likely transmitter is Winter Hill at 25km, followed by Haslingden (28km), then Glossop which is 20km. It states Winter Hill has good reception followed by Haslingden. Glossop has variable reception.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 17:27:05 #3 |
  4. Wallace

Wallace

special member

You should have no trouble In the Chorlton area (M16) with transmissions from Winter Hill. I live slightly further away , WA15, and also receive my broadcasts for Winter Hill.

However, I don't use a HDR-2000T, but do have three HDR-FoxT2 and are not having any issues with HD or SD transmissions.

Not much help to you, sorry.

Are you sure that the signal quality readings are stable, and don't drop occasionally? Signal quality is more important than signal strength.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 19:40:41 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

There is a possibility that you have too strong a signal. Simple way to check is add a variable attenuator to the aerial input.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 19:56:43 #5 |
  6. Wallace

Wallace

special member

Good call, Graham, I forgot about that.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 20:18:48 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Matmcr

Thanks all for the advice on this.

Yeah, the signal quality seems stable. When I look at the tuning dialogue screen the signal never drops on either the strength or Quality. I also have no problems putting the aerial straight into the TV. I was swapping between the Sony TV and the Humax earlier today and the Humax was failing every 30 secs where as the TV was totally fine.

I actually have an variable attenuator on there now and it hasn't made much difference to what it was like before.

I have moved the HDMI to another slot on the TV and it's been fine all night BUT that doesn't mean it's worked. It can go through periods of working fine then not. I have just got a new TV, and it was the same on my older Samsung.

The HDMI lead does cross over a Netgear router, so does anyone think that there could be any problems there? I know it's grasping at straws but it does seem a little odd as the Humax just feels really sensitive with HD. I have ordered a couple more HDMI leads to see if they work better.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 20:28:58 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The router could well be an issue. Simple answer is turn it off and see if you still have the issue. Not likely to be the hdmi, rather the proximity of the router to the Humax box.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 20:35:43 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Matmcr

Thanks, I'll try turning off the router the next time it happens, and see if that's affecting things.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 20:40:17 #9 |
  10. Wallace

Wallace

special member

Or sometimes a 'wall-wart' of a plug-in power supply transformer could be failing causing RF interference to be generated, either airborne or in the mains wiring.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 22:22:36 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.