My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR 2000T freeview

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kr0n0s

Hi

Quick question is there anyway to speed up recordings transfer to USB drive
    example 2Hr 40Minn recording took 55mins to transfer to USB is there a specific make / model of USB that would cut transfer time ? Model i used was WD passport

thanks in advance

| Sun 7 Sep 2014 16:57:21 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No the limitation is the pvr. You could try say putting the box on a radio channel or a channel not currently on air, or even remove the aerial (a dodge that worked with Topfield pvrs). That should reduce the box cpu processor load. Some experimentation is required.

| Sun 7 Sep 2014 17:47:02 #2 |
  3. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Not by much as the port is USB 2.0 and that limits the speed. If the format of the drive is NTFS, I think you can make it a bit quicker (this is true on the HDR-FOX) by getting the Humax to format the drive (EXT3) but If you then use the drive on a Windows PC you will need a utility (e.g. EXT2FSD) to read it. Someone on this forum may have tested the speed difference. It may not be worth it, you might just have to live with it.

| Sun 7 Sep 2014 17:51:38 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

MontysEvilTwin - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Not by much as the port is USB 2.0 and that limits the speed. If the format of the drive is NTFS, I think you can make it a bit quicker (this is true on the HDR-FOX) by getting the Humax to format the drive (EXT3) but If you then use the drive on a Windows PC you will need a utility (e.g. EXT2FSD) to read it. Someone on this forum may have tested the speed difference. It may not be worth it, you might just have to live with it.

USB2.0 should easily be capable of 30MB/second (half the theoretical max speed). That's around 30-40 seconds for 1GB. The limitation is the amount of processing that the cpu is allowed to service the port. The interrupt priority given to this process will be low. Much higher priority will be given to essential pvr processes. If you can reduce the cpu load (eg removing the aerial means the timeshift buffer process isn't required) then the transfer speed should be faster.

See how long it takes to transfer a file you already have on a PC back to the same drive you used to copy it to the PC in the first case.
    Just tested this using my laptop. I transferred a 5.98GB HD recording to USB2.0 harddrive in 3 minutes, that's massively quicker than you could copy it from a Humax pvr.

| Sun 7 Sep 2014 18:05:31 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

The biggest slow down is due to SD files being decrypted when they are exported via USB, Using FAT32 my experience witha 2000T is 1GB takes 5 minutes. If I then copy the decrypted programme back to the HDD's hard drive an export of the pre-decrypted SD programme takes a little over 1 minute for each 1GB.

There have been other reports of NTFS being slower. If I recall correctly about 40-50% slower, and therefore almost doubling the time taken to export. NTFS has got the capabablity of storing programmes that are bigger than 4GB (which FAT32 can't)and NTFS being widly recognised by computers compared to EXT2/3.

| Sun 7 Sep 2014 18:21:22 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Luke - 7 minutes ago  » 
    The biggest slow down is due to SD files being decrypted when they are exported via USB, Using FAT32 my experience witha 2000T is 1GB takes 5 minutes. If I then copy the decrypted programme back to the HDD's hard drive an export of the pre-decrypted SD programme takes a little over 1 minute for each 1GB.
    There have been other reports of NTFS being slower. If I recall correctly about 40-50% slower, and therefore almost doubling the time taken to export. NTFS has got the capabablity of storing programmes that are bigger than 4GB (which FAT32 can't)and NTFS being widly recognised by computers compared to EXT2/3.

Try transferring without the aerial in, it should be faster.

| Sun 7 Sep 2014 18:33:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 
    Try transferring without the aerial in, it should be faster.

The reason I did not mention that is that the speed difference is slight and is therefore not worth the effort, or the potential inconvenience of not plugging the aerial back in before the next recording is due.

If the HDR is otherwise loaded the impact may be more.
    The significance differences occur when using the Humax DNLA server, playing back a pre-recording programme or making a new recording. All of these require decryption and so have a very obvious impact on the decryption resources of the HDR.
    The buffering of the live aerial feed has little impact compared to these three other activities.

| Sun 7 Sep 2014 22:23:24 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.