My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

HDR losing picture when connected by HD cable

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Calomax

In the last few days my HDR will suddenly lose the picture and just give us a bright green screen. Sometimes I can get it back for a while by rebooting but that doesn't work if it's recording because then it doesn't have to reboot.

That only seems to happen when connected to the TV by HD cable because we watched all evening yesterday by connecting it with a scart cable.

I have tried a different HD cable and did a factory reset but it still did it yesterday.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas before I take it for possible repair.

| Sun 8 Apr 2012 7:19:29 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Try setting VFORMAT to 1080i rather than Auto.

| Sun 8 Apr 2012 7:39:19 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Calomax

Where do I find VFORMAT please? I can't see it in any of the menu settings. I did notice when I reset it that something defaulted to 1080i. I don't know if that was it.

| Sun 8 Apr 2012 10:20:04 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Calomax - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Where do I find VFORMAT please? I can't see it in any of the menu settings.

Button on the remote.

| Sun 8 Apr 2012 10:37:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

It'll be the HDCP that's causing the trouble. It's copyright protection rubbish and the box has to handshake (test the connection to the screen) to make sure it's connected to a legitimate device.
    It's an absolute nightmare and causes nothing but trouble and does nothing as far as copy protection goes, it just frustrates.

Humax haven't helped as they've tried to be clever and do everything automaticaly so you can't actually tell the box what format you want, you have to let the box automatically handshake, work out what formats it thinks the device/screen/tv is capable of and then you have a choice of formats that you can toggle through using the remote control 'vformat' button.
    Other manufacturers will allow you to set the format/resolution in a menu and then it's fixed which can help with some older screens/displays, Humax don't do this which is a shame.

Make sure you have a good connection between the box and the tv and once it's connected toggle through the formats available using the vformat button, you may have to wait a few seconds each time for the handshaking to catch up. Ideally you want the format as high as possible (1080), if you can only get 576 or 720 then your screen may not be capable or you may want to check with the manufacturer of the screen to see if there is any software/firmware updates for it or known issues

| Sun 8 Apr 2012 10:41:10 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Preferred Language
    Screen Ratio
    Display Format
    Resolution

Can all be set on intial switch on with a new unit or are options that can be changed on the first screen displayed after a factory reset.

| Sun 8 Apr 2012 11:55:05 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

sorry,
    I got confused with the HDR FOX T2 and the HDCP which refuses to work with some of my equipment. It'd be nice to have the resolution option in a standard menu though

| Sun 8 Apr 2012 14:28:37 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Calomax

Barry - 4 hours ago  » 
    Preferred Language
    Screen Ratio
    Display Format
    Resolution
    Can all be set on intial switch on with a new unit or are options that can be changed on the first screen displayed after a factory reset.

Barry, I'm sure it defaulted to 1080i when I reset it yesterday, and when I press the VFORMAT button on the remote it is 1080i. It ran for about 4 or 5 hours today then I had the green screen with no picture.

As it only happens after the box has been on for a few hours I wondered if there is a component that fails when it gets hot. I've had the box for at least 3 years, and our current TV for about 18 months. It did do it once several weeks ago and I replaced the HDMI lead and thought that had fixed it, but last Thursday it started doing it frequently.

At least we can use it over the weekend on scart but the TV only has one input which I need for the DVD player.

I think I'm going to have to visit my dealer on Tuesday.

| Sun 8 Apr 2012 16:53:45 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Calomax

UPDATE: I just changed the HDMI cable again and it's working again so maybe I am having problems with the leads.

Perhaps I should try to buy a top quality one.

| Sun 8 Apr 2012 17:05:20 #9 |
  10. gomezz

gomezz

special member

You don't need to pay a Monster amount of money for a "top quality" lead. As long as the lead is properly constructed to the HDMI spec with well made connections then it will work as well as anything can.

| Sun 8 Apr 2012 18:23:58 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.