My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Help!!

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

karens

Hi I am new here and glad I found this forum!!

I have a Humax box which I purchased from Ebay about 6 months ago. I am quite happy with it apart from the fact the picture on my TV is not 100% clear - a little cloudy on some programmes I would say. Also it seems to have a permanently 'wide-screen' look. I have tried to alter this with the remote but there isn't much selection.

My main question today is I advised my mother to get a 'Humax' for ease of recording etc... she also bought one on Ebay this week. She had installed it but said her picture was 'tiny' and she could get it any larger so she uninstalled it. I have not seen this in action as yet, I am going to visit this weekend and will have a look myself to see if she installed it properly etc. What I would like to know is, is it because our models are older versions as to why our picture isn't completely clear? I thought Humax Boxes 'upgraded' themselves automatically when in use? Any help or advice would be gratefully received... please reply in 'simple' terms as I don't really understand technical jargon lol - Thanks

| Fri 15 Jun 2012 13:46:13 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

karens - 22 minutes ago  » 
    I have a Humax box which I purchased from Ebay about 6 months ago. I am quite happy with it apart from the fact the picture on my TV is not 100% clear - a little cloudy on some programmes I would say. Also it seems to have a permanently 'wide-screen' look. I have tried to alter this with the remote but there isn't much selection.

It would help if you told us which model. The picture should be very good. Is your box connected to the TV by SCART or HDMI?

My main question today is I advised my mother to get a 'Humax' for ease of recording etc... she also bought one on Ebay this week. She had installed it but said her picture was 'tiny' and she could get it any larger so she uninstalled it.

She is probably looking at the preview picture in the guide. Tell her to press Exit.

| Fri 15 Jun 2012 14:11:40 #2 |
  3. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

Hi karens and welcome to the forum.

As Martin has already said, please let us know the model of both your own and your mothers Humax boxes.

You should be able to adjust the screen format using the menu. Let us know your model number so we can help.

If your picture is not clear then the problem will probably lie with the connection to your TV or the TV itself. Digital TV has very clear images on all channels - if you get interference it will appear as small coloured squares across the screen rather than a cloudy or 'snowy' appearance.

The software on the boxes can be updated automatically but only when the new software is being broadcast. We can help you determine what software version you are running.

I assume both you and your mother have wide-screen TVs....

| Fri 15 Jun 2012 14:24:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

karens

Thanks for the reply.. I will add the model number later tonight when I get home. I can't remember which it is. I know my mother has the same model though! cheers for the info re her looking at a 'preview' too. Will be back later. : )

| Fri 15 Jun 2012 14:26:32 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

karens - 1 day ago  » 
    Also it seems to have a permanently 'wide-screen' look. I have tried to alter this with the remote but there isn't much selection.

When you say ‘older’ Humax are they one of 9150/9300/9200? I take it that is not an 8000 as the 8000 does not have a preview mode.
    If they are one of 9150/9300/9200 are you aware that there are additional buttons under a sliding cover on the remote?

The bottom part of the remote is smooth. There are almost 20 additional buttons hidden under this smooth exterior. The smooth cover slides down by pressing on the three raised dots and while pressing down slide the smooth cover down the remaining length of the remote. There is a button called 'wide' (in the manual the diagram labels this button 17 L). Press this repeatedly to cycle round all the aspect options.
    Do report back with more details about this as it may be that your TV's aspect ratio is not setup OK to match the Humax.

Under the sliding cover there is also a 'Play List' button. It is located on the top row of the hidden buttons, two from the right (in the manual the diagram labels this button 17 i). This enables recorded programmes to be played without having to display them in preview mode first.

Other buttons under the flap that are usefull from first owning the PVR are the jump buttons (in the manual the diagram labels these buttons 18 p and r). These enable not ony instant replay and advert skip but can also be used to jump forward and back a whole day at a time when viewing the 7 day Electronic Programme Guide.

| Sat 16 Jun 2012 21:37:08 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.