My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Help! HDR2000T asking for disk format

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Help!!

Just switched on my HDR2000T to set a recording and got an on screen message telling me the media (HDD) needs to be formatted before it can be used for recording. The thing is, I've had it a few months now and it has about 15% of the disk filled with programmes waiting to be watched. The media button does nothing, I have no access to what's been recorded.

Has this happened to anyone else; if so how did you get round the problem and most importantly, have I lost all my recorded programs? I can't go into the device because it's still under warranty. Any help gratefully appreciated before I throw it back at the supplier.

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 17:27:30 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Aside from switching it off and then disconnecting it completely from the mains for a while, at least 10 mins and trying again, I don't think you have any other options.
    Even if you do get it to see the drive again it doesn't really bode well.
    Make sure you have adequate ventilation all around the Humax with care of what you stack under/over it, after normal use run you hand all over the box and if anything is hot to the touch then that will cause problems and will lead to premature failure

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 18:26:50 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Thanks for the reply. Tried switching off and leaving 10 mins with the power supply disconnected - no change. On switch on it tells me that to enable recording the disk needs to be formatted. It is (or was!) formatted on first installation.

As regards its situation, it sits on top of a DVD player/recorder which is ususally on standby. That has a metal case and it feels cool all over its surface, even when it's been on standby for a long time.

I guess the HDR2000T is going back to the supplier as faulty, a shame because I like its features. Have Humax products become unreliable? I had a 9200 in the 90's which ran for years. Recently I had a 9300 which was also very good.

| Tue 18 Nov 2014 9:06:38 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

colirv

batteryman - 1 hour ago  » 
    Have Humax products become unreliable? I had a 9200 in the 90's which ran for years. Recently I had a 9300 which was also very good.

I think they have. My 9300T is still working, whereas my HDR-FOX T2 packed up just within warranty and was replaced by the 2000T. We shall see how reliable that proves.

| Tue 18 Nov 2014 11:01:19 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

colirv - 30 minutes ago  » 
    I think they have. My 9300T is still working, whereas my HDR-FOX T2 packed up just within warranty and was replaced by the 2000T.

That is a rather small data sample for such a large conclusion. I would say based on extensive reading of Forums both the 9xxx range and HDR-FOX T2 have reasonably reliable hardware (although both have known faults that can affect some boxes); the software for the HDR-FOX T2 is significantly more reliable than for the 9xxx boxes but again has a few quirks. So I think Humax are above average compared to other PVR manufacturers. It is a bit early to form an opinion on the HDR-2000T as we have only just seen the first software update.

| Tue 18 Nov 2014 11:41:24 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

batteryman - 18 hours ago  » 
    ... I've had it a few months now and it has about 15% of the disk filled with programmes waiting to be watched. The media button does nothing, I have no access to what's been recorded.

Do you have the ftp server switched on? Can you turn it on? Can you contact the 2000T via ftp and see the files on the disk?
    If that makes some sense to you and you can see files on the Humax's disk - you could, if you have space on your computer, copy all the files in "My Video" via ftp. These files will be encrypted and unplayable on your computer. Then allow the Humax to format the disk and copy the files back and see if that allows you to see them. If the media button then works - I'd be tempted to copy the files to a USB stick (to decrypt them) and then move them back to your computer. Then you might want to think about returning it.

| Tue 18 Nov 2014 12:12:47 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Thanks very much for that, I'll give it a go. I might at least be able to watch the "valuable" stuff I've recorded.

| Tue 18 Nov 2014 12:51:20 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Might save me some time later - what exactly is the ftp server? I'm assuming you're talking about having my wireless network running and another PC running - trying to transfer files from the Humax to the PC via the network. If i can get them off the hard disk I should be able to watch using a laptop running VLC or something similar - it works with my Foxsat HDR.

| Tue 18 Nov 2014 16:23:27 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The HDR2000T has built in FTP capabilities. To use it you need ftp software on your PC and have the option enabled.

It's worth a try but as your box can't see the HDD I doubt it will work.

Copying files is simple drag and drop as in Windows.

The image attached is the connection data for one of my HDR FOX T2's. The HDR2000T should be similar. The software is Filezilla.

Note use your HDR2000T IP address (default password 0000).

Attachments

1. screen_2014-11-18_15.28.35.jpg (119.6 KB, 0 downloads) 9 years old
    | Tue 18 Nov 2014 16:35:58 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

batteryman - 2 hours ago  » 
    If i can get them off the hard disk I should be able to watch using a laptop running VLC or something similar - it works with my Foxsat HDR.

No it will not work; unlike the FOXSAT the files (yes even SD) will still be encrypted.

| Tue 18 Nov 2014 18:37:43 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.