My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

How do I connect a FoxSat HDR to iPlayer?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ZombieChick

HI everyone,

I'm new on here and hoping for some help. My mum has a Foxsat HDR and, for a Christmas present, I'm trying to find out how I can get her to be able to watch iPlayer on it as she currently has to sit at her computer in an uncomfortable chair.

She has access to the internet and WiFi but beyond this, and since I don't live with her, I'm struggling to figure out how to connect it to the internet to do this - can anyone advise? Is there a dongle or similar that I can get her?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks,

ZC

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 18:18:05 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

chrissaf

Most Wi-fi dongles are designed to be used with a PC or laptop as you need a software driver on the attached device to operate and configure the dongle. I believe there may be some dongles on the market that operate independently in the attached device once they have been set-up using a PC first. Some people have used self contained Wi-fi bridges that have their own integrated software, but these can be problematic and/or onerous to set up.

Most user's agree that the best and recommended connection is to use a direct RJ45 Ethernet (10/100BaseT) connection between the router and HDR, but not everyone has the benefit of an easy direct cable route between the two devices particularly if they are not co-located in the same room.

The most widely proposed compromise is to use Ethernet 'Homeplugs' to create a pseudo hard wired Ethernet connection using the house electrical 'ring main' as the physical carrier medium.

The 'Homeplug' solution has been featured and mentioned many times in posts on these forums. Google "Homeplugs" for more product information.

In principal, the use of 'Homeplugs' or a direct RJ45 cable (if you have a suitable cable route) provides you with a near 'plug n play' solution. Most routers and Humax HDRs have a default configuration that detects each other and set up the necessary IP network configuration settings automatically.

Some Homeplugs also have a pass through 3 pin electrical socket so that you don't lose the use of a wall socket. If the Homeplug kit doesn't provide them you will also need two short RJ45 cables to go between the Homeplug and the router / Humax.

PS - you will need two Homeplugs, one for the router and one for the Humax.

PPS - here is a Youtube Homeplug video that you might find informative.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyPNHonC6HI

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 18:55:50 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi ZombieChick welcome. A lot depends on how far apart the WiFi Router and the Foxsat-hdr are.

If close enough to run a cable a standard ethernet cat 5 patch cable is the cheapest and best option. Loads on e-bay of varying lengths. The cable simply plugs into the back of the foxsat and a spare socket on the router

Example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Network-Ethernet-Cable-Cat5-25cm-50cm-1m-2m-3m-5m-10m-15m-20m-25m-30m-40m-50m-/280879303354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4165b60aba

If that's not practical you can use a pair of homeplug adaptors and two short patch cables (usually supplied). You need a spare socket by the Foxsat and one by the router. These use the mains to replace the single cable.

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 18:57:42 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

chrissaf

Two votes for Homeplugs..........any more!!!

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 19:09:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kneal

+1 for the Homeplug option as Wifi dongle is not supported, this is the recommended method if the router is not convenient to the HDR for a cable as it will give a much better connection to the internet for streaming media than a WiFi dongle would anyway. Also shop around for a good price on the homeplugs as they can be quite pricey.

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 23:25:05 #5 |
  6. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe

special member

another option is to use a WiFi Extender, which is my option as I have several internet devices such as TV, Humax HDR etc. My router is connected directly to the incoming BT box, which is next floor above my lounge. The extender send an excellent Wifi signal to the lounge and everything then gets connected with RG45 cables.

| Wed 12 Dec 2012 10:17:35 #6 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

If you do resort to having to use Homeplugs then be aware they could be a potential source of interference to radio reception(and with the new high speed ones to TV reception) so you know where to look if you start getting problems of that kind. Don't want to get into yet another dicussion about this here. The arguments for and against are well rehearsed out on the big bad interweb for you to find and consider.

| Wed 12 Dec 2012 12:24:40 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ZombieChick

Thank you everyone for your help - it's really useful!

The HDR is in a different room to the router, and any direct cable would have to run across doorways (or require DIY that is beyond me!) so I've done a bit of looking and ordered a pair of TP-Link powerline homeplugs which sound like they'll do the job. I'll tell mum to keep an eye out for any interference.

Thanks again!

ZC

| Wed 12 Dec 2012 16:28:09 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.