My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Humax 1010s/1Tb did I buy the wrong box?

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Dear Forum

i have trawled the forum and found some snippets of useful information, however after consultation with my dish installer i am further confused.

it is my understanding that a device is available in the market http://inverto.tv/guide/?p=12 and uni-cable method which allows a single LNB & single co-axial to provide simultaneous PVR recording and viewing of different channel expressly on the Humax 1010S.

My installer attempted to explain at length that the voltages for horizontal and vertical signals utilise different voltages and subsequently my explanation of uni-cable method and & inverto was a myth.............could not be done.

Is any of our learned forum able to offer further guidance in this respect especially in respect of HDR 1010S compatibility .

My humble thanks for clarification on this matter ...or indeed if I have crossed wires.

regards

| Tue 22 Jul 2014 7:41:50 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The lnb you are referring to is a scr (single cable router) aka unicable.

Your installer obviously doesn't have much knowledge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_cable_distribution

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inverto-Unicable-Quad-LNB-SCR-Single-Cable-Router-4-Satellite-Feeds-One-Cable-/280863315681

The earlier Foxsat-hdr does provide support for these lnb's.

Afaik the Freetime boxes don't currently do so.

However they will allow dual recording (with some limitations) and third channel viewing using a single cable.

see

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

An earlier device called a stacker/destacker will work with any box provided you have good quality coax and the cable isn't too long

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/stacker_destacker.htm

| Tue 22 Jul 2014 9:47:58 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Thank you for that information ..so to be sure... am I correct i.e. .... I should have sacrificed WiFi capability in favour of an older version i.e. a FOXSAT HDR box ?. and utilised uni-cable technology.

I did ask HUMAX a similar question but the response was alas pitiful as they insist two wires for their devices and do not apparently acknowledge uni-cable system is possible. (perhaps this influenced the installer?)

In respect to WiFi and the on demand features of 1010S if I use this 1010s outside of UK ( which I plan to do from time to time ) the router will ID as non UK and will not match the post code ....I suspect therefore such as BBCiplayer may not be available.....is any one able to offer certain knowledge in this respect also.

Thank you

| Tue 22 Jul 2014 11:01:05 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

With Unicable (hopefully a future addition to the HDR-10x0S units)
    You can split a cable and most SCR LNB's are sold with one splitter.

| Tue 22 Jul 2014 11:01:31 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Lindberg146 - 2 hours ago  » 
    In respect to WiFi and the on demand features of 1010S if I use this 1010s outside of UK ( which I plan to do from time to time ) the router will ID as non UK and will not match the post code ....I suspect therefore such as BBCiplayer may not be available.....is any one able to offer certain knowledge in this respect also.
    Thank you

Google SmartDNS.

Is there some reason you can't simply fit a quad universal lnb and add the extra cable ?

I am guessing you have a Sky Minidish. If so to fit a non sky lnb requires a bodge as a standard lnb has a larger collar and has the wrong feedhorn shape for a Sky dish which is wider than it is high.

| Tue 22 Jul 2014 13:10:55 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Dear Special Members

Your prompt and knowledgeable response is most heartwarming although perhaps my own knowledge is is not up to the response and i'm a bit confused ...please pardon my probable inane queries.

Mr REPASSAC, do I comprehend correctly that the 1010S does not currently employ unicable technology? ...and that this facility may follow with a series add on? if so would this be softwear via automatic update or a hard wear device?

Mr Thompson, Installed dish is 60 cm with single LNB only single co-axial from dish to box it is not feasible to run a second cable ( it is possible but cost/mess/chopping/redecorating/upheaval not really an option unless I consider a divorce).

Plus installation in a small apartment complex permissions would be required to run any exposed cables and use of the existing routes/conduits I foresee would/could cause or disrupt / damage services to other users.......

Plus it is appropriate to seek permissions to utilise these common conduits which may not be permitted notwithstanding the process may take a year.....Trust you understand this is not negativity but practicability ...I think?

Your further comments are most welcome and invaluable.

Gentlemen thank you, most kind.

| Thu 24 Jul 2014 7:49:20 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You understand correctly - Should it appear it would be by an automatic software update.

If I may also comment on your questions to Mr Thompson (I know he is quite busy on some development).

I understand your points but will say two feeds is standard as a minimum and required by the satellite mass markets (freesat+, Sky+). Of course the ideal time to ask for this to be provided is before renting.

| Thu 24 Jul 2014 9:54:53 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What shape is the 60cm dish. Is it wider than it is tall, or vice versa ?

| Thu 24 Jul 2014 10:05:43 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Dish shape Ummm ...this why eye witnesses are reliably unreliable... pretty sure wider than it is tall...but there again I've never one the lottery for more than a tenner...

| Thu 24 Jul 2014 22:52:17 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Lindberg146 - 1 minute ago  » 
    Dish shape Ummm ...this why eye witnesses are reliably unreliable... pretty sure wider than it is tall...but there again I've never one the lottery for more than a tenner...

In that case it's a Sky-minidish (the most common dish in the UK, they are millions in use).

Example

http://www.tracsat.co.uk/sky-zone-2-dish-quad-lnb-minidish.html

A dish reflects microwave energy into the lnb (in much the same way as optical reflecting telescope does).

The part of the lnb that collects this energy is known as the feedhorn. The shape of it is designed to collect this from the full dish surface but not outside it (if it looks outside the dish this can introduce interference you do not want).

Lnb's designed for these dishes have a smaller collar size than the normal dishes which are the other way round. Slightly higher than wide.

For generic (non Sky) dishes because of the offset design the dish looks circular from the lnb viewpoint, hence the feedhorn shape is circular. The collar of the lnb is deliberately larger (22mm) to avoid fitting an unsuitable lnb to a sky dish.

The guy that you had is clearly not an engineer but a Sky trained fitter that only knows about Sky Minidishes and the lnbs he normally fits (which are designed for the dish shape).

Even if the Freetime box worked with a unicable lnb, you would really need to change the dish to a generic (non Sky design).

Eg

Like these

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/fixed-dishes.htm#primesat60

Not like these

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/sky.htm

| Thu 24 Jul 2014 23:18:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.