My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Humax DTR-T1000 500GB

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

vince01

My Humax DTR-T1000 500GB which is just over 12 months old has started to play up, When watching tv via the humax, picture and sound will go off(blank screen). The power light on the Humax remains blue but the remote will not function,Will not switch of with remote.The only way to get it working again is to switch it off at rear mains switch and the power it up again. This would work ok for a few days before happening again. I did the Maintence Mode recovery on it using internet/usb recovery delete recordings but this did not fix it. The unit is well ventilated so it's not a heat issue. I am a retired Tv engineer and was wondering was this due to capacitors going wrong in the power supply. I have it set to low mode since I got this new. Hope someone can help with this faulty Humax

| Sun 16 Feb 2014 21:50:35 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I had similar problems with my first DTR-T1000 when it was about seven months old, and with its replacement after four months. In each case, once freezing began, it happened again and again, until eventually no amount of rebooting or resetting or recovering would cajole it back into action.

Is it still under warranty? If so, you should be able to get a replacement from Humax. But if you decide to investigate the capacitors, I'd be interested to hear what you learn.

| Sun 16 Feb 2014 22:20:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

An old news item on the What HiFi website mentioning a third-party YouView "upgrade":

Modifications start with improvements to the power supply: the capacitors have been upgraded, an IEC socket has been fitted so the user can upgrade the mains cable and Russ Andrews' silencer and clarity mains filters have been added.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/russ-andrews-tunes-up-humaxs-youview-set-top-box

And pic:

Attachments

1. image.jpg (32.3 KB, 6 downloads) 10 years old
    | Mon 17 Feb 2014 9:37:54 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

vince01

Thank you James. I repaired a lot of power supplies in other devices in my time as a TV engineer and I was wondering is there a modification kit for this Humax DTR-T1000 to be got. Anyone from Humax reading this any help with this problem would be appreciated not only for myself but for others who at some stage may come across this fault with this great youview box. Thank you again James.

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 11:00:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

vince01 - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you James. I repaired a lot of power supplies in other devices in my time as a TV engineer and I was wondering is there a modification kit for this Humax DTR-T1000 to be got. Anyone from Humax reading this any help with this problem would be appreciated not only for myself but for others who at some stage may come across this fault with this great youview box. Thank you again James.

My pleasure, and I have to own up to an ulterior motive, in that I would love to see this problem solved so that I could risk buying another Humax YouView box.

I don't know of any modification kit - Russ Andrews are no longer advertising theirs. There's unfortunately not much market for such a kit, as most of the boxes have been acquired as part of a BT TV sub and it's easy to get a replacement as long as the sub continues. Retail purchasers are consequently a bit out on a limb.

This is a situation that's likely to get worse rather than better, as the YouView partners are currently renegotiating their shareholder agreements, and press reports suggest the PSB partners may reduce their investment, leaving BT as the dominant force where the Humax YouView box is concerned. BT are unlikely to encourage third-party modification of the box.

Sorry to be pessimistic.

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 11:20:43 #5 |
  6. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I have a defunct trial box awaiting a PSU repair.

| Mon 17 Feb 2014 11:22:49 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.