(59 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Indeed.

| Fri 1 Aug 2014 10:26:10 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Le_Blur

My Youview has failed again this morning - with CEC off. T2100 back into standby and out - still blank screen. TV switched from HDMI and back again - still blank screen. Sony TV switched off and back on - picture and sound restored on HDMI from Youview box.

I have now changed the Youview supplied HDMI cable with a PureAV HDMI cable. I'll see how this goes. If it fails again then I will follow someone's suggestion (another forum) of using a Scart cable in parallel with the HDMI. When the HDMI fails I can then switch to AV to see if this is ok then back to HDMI.

| Fri 1 Aug 2014 11:30:16 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Be interested to hear the results. To me it sounds more like a problem coming out of standby. You mentioned above that the box wakes up from its failure state to process a pre-set recording timer. Which is an action that proceeds regardless of whether the box is awake, in low-eco standby, or high-eco standby. That suggests to me that it's the wake-up procedure that's running into trouble. Just as it used to do on all those failed DTR-T1000s.

Have you tried it with the app?

| Fri 1 Aug 2014 11:46:43 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

You might like to have a look at a thread at http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/cant-turn-on-tv-to-watch-anything-whilst-recording.3697/

This concerns a problem with a Sony Bravia and a different Humax box, the HDR-1000S. Sounds rather similar to your problem. The posters in that thread, who know more than most or at any rate more than me, suggest that (in the 1000-S case) it is indeed HDMI-handshake-related and reflects a fault in the Humax box.

| Fri 1 Aug 2014 12:45:25 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Le_Blur

Youview box failed again, this time with the replacement HDMI cable. Set the Youview box to record immediately, red light came on to indicate it had started, but still blank screen on HDMI 1 on Sony TV. No 'Tuner 1' or 'Tuner 2' at top centre of screen.

I have now added the scart connection in parallel with the HDMI connection and will try switching between the two on next failure. I have tested that I do get picture and sound via both connections.

To get it to fail I am just putting the Youview box into standby but leaving the TV on on HDMI 1. I just bring the Youview box out of standby every now and again to see if it fails. It appears the longer I leave it the more chance of failure but this may not be the case.

| Fri 1 Aug 2014 17:09:13 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Le_Blur

Got the youview box to fail again this morning i.e. blank screen on HDMI 1. Switched over to AV 1 and sound and picture were fine. Switched back to HDMI 1 and still blank screen.

TV into standby and out again brought HDMI 1 back to life. With HDMI CEC switched off on the TV, I never see 'Tuner 1' or 'Tuner 2' at the top centre of the screen, even when the Youview box comes out of standby ok.

Do you think this is just a compatibility issue between the Sony Bravia TV and the BT Youview DTR-T2100 or would you class this as a fault with my specific DTR-T2100 that is upsetting the TV?

Sony do seem to have their own way of doing things e.g. I often lose BBC iPlayer for days on the Sony Bravia TV (one reason I got the Youview box) and I often find that it is a compatibility issue following a change by iPlayer that only seems to affect Sony Smart TVs.

Your views would be appreciated.

| Sat 2 Aug 2014 14:17:36 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

So it's definitely an HDMI issue. I wouldn't worry about the "Tuner 1" message. It was probably coming from the HDMI-CEC, which is why it went away after you switched off the HDMI-CEC

I would think this is probably a problem with your YouView box. BT must have distributed a fair few of these boxes by now. Some of those users must have Sony Bravias, so if it was a general incompatibility there should be a few reports in BT's forum. In any case, you've probably got no traction with Sony or the retailer from whom you bought the TV (unless it's also new).

So my advice remains the same: try the Maintenance Mode recovery, and if that doesn't work, contact your seller.

You may want to bear in mind that if the YouView box is faulty, further problems may crop up down the road. I'm sorry to say it, but quality control on previous YouView models has been absolute pants. Having had two YouView boxes die on me within less than 18 months, there's no way I'd trust one that was already giving trouble within days of purchase.

| Sat 2 Aug 2014 14:36:09 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Le_Blur

Will try the Maintenance Mode recovery and see if this makes a difference.

From another owner (on another forum I posted this on: "I'm having a similar issue with my brand new 2100 box. 50% of time I get blank screen on my Sony TV when HDMI1 is selected. If I put the 2100 into standby, then power on again, it seems to kick the HDMI into action most of the time, say 80-90%. If that fails I try again, then it will work 100% of time."

I have seen others as well so mine is not the only one having these issues with HDMI.

Many thanks for your help, JamesB.

| Sat 2 Aug 2014 14:52:11 #28 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

There were lots of reports of handshaking problems with mainly Sony and Panasonic TV sets from Youview triallists. Owners of other makes of TV set did not seem to have anywhere near the same amount of problems. I very occasionally get a pink tinge to the display with my Samsung on initial connection but without fail switching away then back fixes it.

| Sat 2 Aug 2014 18:28:34 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Le_Blur

Many thanks Gomezz.

For me it may be as simple as switching on the YouView box before the TV and not vice versa and all may be well.

| Sat 2 Aug 2014 18:50:34 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.