My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Humax FOXSAT_HDR update software for BBC iPlayer

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

splivbak

Hi All,

My Mum has a FOXSAT-HDR bought in 2008 and has never updated the software etc but it's always worked really well. She'd like to be able to access BBC iPlayer. I've connected the internet for the first time from the router (upstairs) via a TP-LINK 200MBPS Powerline Adapter and put the ethernet cable into the back of the HUMAX Unit.

The HUMAX doesn't see the Ethernet info via DHCP, I've added the info manually and it doesn't seem to connect.

The Humax is currently running on...

HPRSFCI 1.00.02
    Loader Version U 7.52

So it's in desperate need of a software update, but I can't find how to do it. I wondered if I was having problems connecting to BBC IPlayer because the software was so old, but I can't update it. I've downloaded the file FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf for version 1.22.21 and put it onto a clean FATS 32 formatted 256 mb USB stick and followed instructions loading it via the front panel. The usb flashes for a while, but ultimately the file isn't downloading onto the box and the software isn't updating.

I'm not sure where to go next. Can anyone help? Is this possible, and if so, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

| Tue 6 Jan 2015 23:10:46 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve_b

I thought the software update could be done through the satellite.
    On the remote - menu ->setup->software update

I am running raydon's firmware and would never go back (installed through the usb).
    It is very picky on usb memory sticks.
    I only have one ancient one that works.

Steve

| Tue 6 Jan 2015 23:40:06 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Updates can only be done when the software is actually transmitted. There's no chance of it being re-transmitted. If you have the latest CF you already have the latest software (It's included in the CF package automatically). 1.00.21 can be downloaded from the Humax beta site.

http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/downloads/foxsat-hdr

| Tue 6 Jan 2015 23:50:47 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

splivbak

Thanks Steve, yes I've tried a couple of very old 256 MB usb's, and no luck so far. One of them did look as though it was being read as there was a lot of flashing going on (on the usb itself) but it didn't amount to anything. I have tried the automatic software update, and it doesn't do anything...?!

| Wed 7 Jan 2015 0:26:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

splivbak

Hi Graham,

sorry, excuse my ignorance, but what's CF?

I have downloaded software form the HUMAX beta website, but am struggling to get it onto the unit itself. This is possibly a USB issue, I've tried a couple of old ones, under 1GB, and neither is working.

| Wed 7 Jan 2015 0:28:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

splivbak - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Steve, yes I've tried a couple of very old 256 MB usb's, and no luck so far. One of them did look as though it was being read as there was a lot of flashing going on (on the usb itself) but it didn't amount to anything. I have tried the automatic software update, and it doesn't do anything...?!

take the 256mb usb stick, fully format it in windows to FAT, don't allow a quick format and don't format to fat32, copy the FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf file onto the usb stick, put the foxsat into standby, wait for the disk noise to stop, switch off at the back (rear left hand side rocker), plug in the usb stick to front usb socket, switch back on at rear, file should start to load.

Instructions say press standby and other users say you need to press standby for around 30 secs. I've not updated mine for a while and I've always powered off and it's always worked for me.

Don't assume you don't need to bother with a full format (for the sake of a couple of minutes I don't understand why some people resist formatting a usb stick properly), if you're having problems, which you are, do a proper full format to FAT. If that doesn't work try another usb stick. Let us know how you get on

CF - Raydon's custom firmware for the foxsathdr 4.1.3 is the latest afaik, I'm sure there used to be a link on here somewhere, however google it and take a look, worthwhile putting it on once you've got the standard update procedure clear as it gives you much better control over the box.

| Wed 7 Jan 2015 3:41:31 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

splivbak - 10 hours ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    sorry, excuse my ignorance, but what's CF?
    I have downloaded software form the HUMAX beta website, but am struggling to get it onto the unit itself. This is possibly a USB issue, I've tried a couple of old ones, under 1GB, and neither is working.

It's the software referred to as Raydons Firmware (CF - Custom Firmware) in Steve_b's post.

Don't bother about 1GB I have used a 8GB stick for years.

I always quick format the stick first, and just have the .hdf file on it.

It's been used this way for dozens of updates on Humax kit (not just the Foxsat-hdr). Never needed to use the full format option.

Make sure the box is truly in sby before flashing the firmware.

| Wed 7 Jan 2015 11:15:58 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.