My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Humax Portal Blocked by BT Parental Controls

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

soverson

I think I already know the answer to this one but its worth a try to see if anybody else has encountered this.
    I recently activated BT Parental Controls on our broadband account, and didn't really appreciate the restriction that this places by forcing us to use BT's DNS server rather than switching to a 3rd party DNS server.
    Whenever I now try to access the Humax Portal on my 2000T, I now get the BT splash screen telling me that I'm trying to connect to a non-BT DNS server outside of their network. There is nothing further that I can do at that point other than exiting back out of the portal.
    So far, I have tried to add the portal website into the 'allowed' list in parental controls (humaxtvportal.com) but to no avail. Just to mention, the router in use is BT's own HH5.
    My conclusion is that in order to get around this, the solution is limited to either switch off parental controls permanently, or invest in a new router which would allow the DNS settings to be changed (something which the HH5 does not allow).
    Has anybody else hit on this snag?
    Thanks,

| Mon 23 Mar 2015 14:27:42 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

soverson - 57 minutes ago  » 
    Whenever I now try to access the Humax Portal on my 2000T, I now get the BT splash screen telling me that I'm trying to connect to a non-BT DNS server outside of their network. There is nothing further that I can do at that point other than exiting back out of the portal.

So if you look at Internet settings on the Humax, what DNS server is it trying to use?

| Mon 23 Mar 2015 15:26:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

soverson

Currently it shows as 192.168.1.254
    Configure IP is set to DHCP. I have googled BT's DNS servers and tried one of those in the DNS setting, but to no avail. One thing at the back of my mind is that I have seen online somewhere that once the BT blocking page has been displayed once, it leaves a cookie which keeps it displaying even when parental controls have been deleted. If this was the case with the Humax as well, it would be difficult to tell if changing the DNS setting had resolved the issue or not.
    Any help / advice appreciated......
    Thanks

| Mon 23 Mar 2015 20:54:49 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

soverson

Yay, problem solved.
    I've changed the DNS to one of the BT server DNS's, and decided to do a full power down (instead of the non Eco power down to keep loop thru working).
    Once I restarted the box, Humax portal is back in business. I'm sure that it was due to the BT blocking webpage taking over the cache which only cleared out on a full system reboot.
    Anyway, back in business so one happy camper.

Also put the latest software update on at the same time - seemed quite straight forward over IP, instead of the USB stick palava from last time. Will see if any changes are noticeable.

| Mon 23 Mar 2015 21:34:26 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.