My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Humax PVR-9150T loads but screen blank

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

wotsup

Sorry I am very non-techie.
    My Humax suddenly won't work properly.
    When I switch it on the screen with the loading 'worm' appears but then nothing appears on screen.
    Previously the motor would stop whirring and the screen appears.
    Now the motor continues with the same note whirring.
    I have tried unplugging etc and taking out the aerial but it still does the same. It's as if something is stuck inside.
    Do hope someone can help because I would hate to lose all the saved progs.

| Mon 16 Mar 2015 16:01:15 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

wotsup

PLEASE IGNORE THE ABOVE. SOMEHOW - NOT SURE HOW - I HAVE SORTED THE PROBLEM. THANKS ANYWAY.

| Mon 16 Mar 2015 17:02:38 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

wotsup - 59 minutes ago  » 
    When I switch it on the screen with the loading 'worm' appears but then nothing appears on screen.
    Previously the motor would stop whirring and the screen appears.
    Now the motor continues with the same note whirring.

I think the most likely problem is that the cached EPG data has become corrupted. Unfortunately there is not a solution that is non-techie to that specific problem. Do you know anyone with some computer skills? If not you will need to take it to a repairer. I can provide instructions for them as to what I think needs doing.

| Mon 16 Mar 2015 17:04:25 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

wotsup

Thanks so much for the reply Martin.
    I left it on in the 'whirring' position and finally after some minutes it kicked in again.
    I was really at a loss to know what to do.
    If it happens again do I need to take it to a computer repair or a TV repairers?
    And would it be worth it - or should I buy another Humax - this one is around six years old?
    Even if I got a new one, are there ways to retrieve the stuff recorded on it?
    And yes, based on what's happened this time, could you maybe message me with instructions of what needs to be done, if I should have to take it to be repaired?
    Thanks again for your trouble.

| Mon 16 Mar 2015 17:15:03 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

wotsup - 1 hour ago  » 
    I left it on in the 'whirring' position and finally after some minutes it kicked in again.

Oh that sounds like a different problem; wait and see if it happens again.

If it happens again do I need to take it to a computer repair or a TV repairers?

Good question but as I never use either I am not well placed to answer. A PC repairer ought to be able to do it.

And would it be worth it - or should I buy another Humax - this one is around six years old?

A decision you have to make. If the fault was what I originally thought then the cost of parts would be zero and so you would only pay for labour. On the new evidence it may require a new hard drive which would cost about £45 and take say half an hours labour to fit.

Even if I got a new one, are there ways to retrieve the stuff recorded on it?

Yes but they do require technical knowledge unless you connect the Humax to a DVD recorder.

And yes, based on what's happened this time, could you maybe message me with instructions of what needs to be done, if I should have to take it to be repaired?

WHEN you need the instructions I will post them here. I am certainly not going to take half an hour to prepare instructions that may or may not be used and Message them to you so that only you have them. That is not what Forums are about.

| Mon 16 Mar 2015 18:56:47 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

wotsup

Thanks so much for the info Martin.
    Fingers crossed for now.
    Just one more question if you don't mind.
    If I buy a new one, is there a way of transferring the recordings into the new machine?
    Or if this is a complex operation - presumably a computer buff might be able to do it?

| Mon 16 Mar 2015 19:23:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

wotsup - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Just one more question if you don't mind.
    If I buy a new one, is there a way of transferring the recordings into the new machine?
    Or if this is a complex operation - presumably a computer buff might be able to do it?

I have already answered the question in the previous post; please take the time to read it carefully.

| Mon 16 Mar 2015 19:42:28 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

wotsup

The fault I experienced in the previous postings, has occurred again. The Humax did finally respond and I have TV back again but it is obviously on its last legs and I need to buy a new Humax.
    I would like some advice about which model to buy please.
    I need one I can just plug in to my existing set up.
    I have a Freeview TV and watch web catch up etc via a relay cable through my mains and don't have wifi.
    So all I need is a new high capacity Humax - 1TB if possible - and no fancy extras as I am happy for it to do no more than my present six year old model.
    I did previously ask about transferring my current hard drive progs to the new model I buy and it was suggested this is possible but I wouldn't know exactly where to get this done - a TV repairer?
    Grateful for any suggestions.

| Sat 2 May 2015 19:56:26 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.