My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Inaccurate Accurate Recording

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

NickRich

Twice now I have set Homeland to record on Channel 4 and both times the recording has ended early - just a few seconds before the drama ends and well before the credits have finished showing - which is really annoying. Using Accurate Recording on BBC or ITV1 programmes seems to work much better.

Can anyone explain how the AR system works? Is it something I can adjust on the PVR or is it down to the broadcaster to set some sort of "tag"? Should I complain to Channel 4?

I do understand (I think) that I can use padding to set times manually, but this switches off AR I believe, so seems a backward step.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 9:51:09 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Had not watched any episodes yet, but just checked my recordings via C4 HD on freeview and freesat and same, last few seconds missing.

Options:

1. Use auto padding to add a couple of minutes to every timer.
    2. Manually edit timer to add a couple of minutes to end time, plus you would have to change repeat option to weekly as you would lose series link capability.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 10:42:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

AR depends on the recorder getting the start and stop recording signals in the right places. It should work, but is totally dependent on the individual broadcaster doing their job.

Some are ok - BBC usually get it right with TV (less so with radio), but C4 are less good, so a complaint to them is appropriate.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 12:04:26 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

NickRich

Thanks Barry. Option 2 sounds preferable since otherwise I would be switching off AR I believe?

Thanks dino for the clarification. I will write to Channel 4 to see what they say.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 12:52:08 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

NickRich - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Barry. Option 2 sounds preferable since otherwise I would be switching off AR I believe?
    Thanks dino for the clarification. I will write to Channel 4 to see what they say.

afaik Both options turn off Accurate Recording (if you ask a programme to start recording 5 minutes before the record start flag is due to arrive it would be hard to implement padding at the start at least :-), option 1 retains series recording though. The problem with autopad is that once applied it affects every recording.

Swings and Roundabouts

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 13:00:40 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulBear

I had the same problem but luckily had set 'Friday Night Dinner' to record so I got the last couple of minutes of Homeland at the beginning of that.
    I find that BBC [esp 2] is bad for late starts [thus late endings] and if you have set another programme immediately after you lose the end.
    Occasionally I have also had programmes not start until the 1st or 2nd advert break.

Just my two penneth

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 13:33:40 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

I find that a few clipped recordings make me revise whether or not a series is *really* worth watching. If yes - then watch it live and/or wait and get it on DVD/BR when the price drops. If no - cancel the recording.

Homeland is one where you really want AR and series record to work properly (and no unscheduled news/sports overruns). Inaccurate AR is so frustrating when you can't watch live.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 13:43:17 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

NickRich

dino - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Homeland is one where you really want AR and series record to work properly (and no unscheduled news/sports overruns). Inaccurate AR is so frustrating when you can't watch live.

Yes indeed. I too set Friday Night Dinner to record on Sunday, having scrambled around with 4oD to see the last 10 seconds of episode 1 the previous week! I've sent my complaint to Channel 4 and await a reply.

Can I just make sure I understand this though? If I edit my Homeland scheduled recordings (Barry's option 2), I am abandoning AR for ALL my other scheduled recordings too?

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 14:17:19 #8 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Option 2 would only affect AR on the Homeland timer.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 14:21:24 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

NickRich

Ah, thanks Barry. That makes more sense.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 16:09:06 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.