My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Intermittent freezing of unit

(19 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The disk clean-up and reformat options are in settings right below the Factory default option - select Storage and you will see both.

I have found it best not to use the remote much until several seconds (say 10) after the home screen responds to the exit command. I think there are still start-up processes running well after the picture Is first displayed.

p.s. As regards power cycles - I can't believe the length of time is significant - all that is needed is for the capacitors to fully discharge and I get the impression that a brief wait until the LED on the power supply goes out + say 10 seconds is sufficient. The only exception I can think of is a heat related problem when cooling is needed.

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 16:44:38 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Ah

Will the disc clean up wipe recordings?

Thanks.

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 17:28:25 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Breck - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Ah
    Will the disc clean up wipe recordings?
    Thanks.

No, only the full format does that. It's a weird issue, normally hard disk problems affect video and audio. Can't really see how the epg is affected. Afaik the epg data is held in NVRAM (Non volatile random access memory - aka Flash Memory). Wonder if you have some dodgy memory. We know little about the hard disk file structures compared to the Foxsat-Hdr because of the locked down nature of the recording partitions.

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 17:41:14 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Tried the disc clean-up and the problem remains. Will Humax customer support be of any use? The warranty has long expired! I suppose the disc reformat option is still available, but as a last resort. All my recordings of the children's films will be lost. They won't be happy!

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 20:52:30 #14 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You can try support, however if they are generous and offer a replacement then you still loose your recordings.

| Thu 29 Jan 2015 10:17:09 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Ok, I have an update.

Before contacting support and after Repassac's sensible comment, I decided I needed to try the HDD reformat before moving on to anything else.

I initialised the reformat, and left the unit to get on with things for about an hour. After I returned to check progress I noticed that the unit had frozen. The revolving 'wheel' icon next to the 'Formatting' message was stationary and remained so for a good 10 minutes after I had come back. I unplugged the unit (unwise I know) and waiting a couple of minutes before plugging in again. The unit took noticeably longer to start-up than it had been doing during the period that it had been faulty. Once it had started and the EPG had appeared, I navigated to a random channel and pressed 'watch'. No problems and a new screen appeared advertising the Humax mobile app, which I hadn't seen before. I exited and randomly navigated to several other channels using the EPG and it all worked fine, whereas previously the unit would have stalled on the first attempt. Interestingly all my recordings were still present and I sample watched several of them with no issue. I also tested the On Demand services and they worked fine too, whereas they were playing up previously. I noticed a previously unseen info page popping up when I selected BBC One HD, asking if I wanted to series record an upcoming programme. All this suggests that putting the unit in HDD reformat mode, and it freezing and being restarted, triggered a software update that had been missing, but as I've said, I'm no expert.

So, up to now things seems to have sorted themselves out. I recorded a programme overnight and have still to check if it was successful today, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help and I'll keep you posted if anything else occurs.

| Fri 30 Jan 2015 12:46:47 #16 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Very interesting - I don't think it would have been a software update - it asks you on screen if you want to update and you see the update progress.

You appear to have been very lucky indeed. The only possible explanation I can think of is as follows:

The Humax units we know the file structure of all keep a disk copy of Linux, SETTOP the application that runs the PVR and startup scripts. These reside on different partition than your recordings.
    Videos you upload reside on a further unencrypted partition.
    My guess is that format starts with the system partition and in your case the format routine hit an unhanded exception (corruption?) and froze. On restart the unit detected a missing system and recopied it from non volatile memory as it does on first install.

Rather a lot of speculation, just a guess really. The changes of this happing must be one in hundreds of thousands.

| Fri 30 Jan 2015 13:11:07 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Breck

Unfortunately I was being premature with my celebration! The unit is back to it's faulty state. When I try to reformat the HDD it freezes completely and I need to restart the unit. I think it's time to contact Humax support!

| Sat 31 Jan 2015 19:54:17 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

start the format and let it run overnight (even if it looks frozen).

My 2TB (which is now fine) took hours to format properly, I was impatient and stopped it after an hour or so, switch power saving off, re-format, leave to run overnight.
    If by the following morning it's still not formatted then contact humax or remove the drive and diagnose on a pc or get a new drive

| Sun 1 Feb 2015 7:01:06 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.