My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Internet requirements

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Shiralco

Hi, I am new to FreeSat and I have just bought a Humax 1000s which I plan to use in France. I appreciate that the catch-up part won’t work as my IP address will be foreign but will everything else work? The reason I ask this is that I have a Humax YouView box in the UK and this relies heavily on the internet for both EPG population and software updates. Is the Freesat box the same? For example:

1. If I have no internet connection in France will the EPG still populate and record/playback work as normal?
    2. If a have an internet connection, but a foreign IP address, will automatic software updates work?

Any advice would be appreciated.

| Tue 21 Apr 2015 20:09:20 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The answer is yes to both. Software and epg are delivered via satellite. In fact every channel on the epg carries the full epg. I imagine the backwards epg won't populate though.

| Tue 21 Apr 2015 20:47:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Shiralco

Thanks for the quick reply - great news, obviously it's the same as my old Humax FreeView box that received everything over the airwaves. I wonder why Humax/YouView opted for internet updates etc on the YouView box?

I've been trying to think of a way to get a proxy IP to fool the catch-up software, but think this is beyond my ability!

| Tue 21 Apr 2015 20:58:01 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Shiralco - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the quick reply - great news, obviously it's the same as my old Humax FreeView box that received everything over the airwaves. I wonder why Humax/YouView opted for internet updates etc on the YouView box?
    I've been trying to think of a way to get a proxy IP to fool the catch-up software, but think this is beyond my ability!

Google SmartDNSServer This works in a different way to a proxy server), Repassac may be able to help (He lives in France).

My Brother In Law used to live in Brittany, he had the VOD services using a HDR1000S and SmartDNSServer service.

| Tue 21 Apr 2015 21:06:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Shiralco

Thanks again - I'll look into the SmartDNSServer service.

| Tue 21 Apr 2015 22:23:36 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

grahamlthompson - 15 hours ago  » 
    The answer is yes to both. Software and epg are delivered via satellite. In fact every channel on the epg carries the full epg. I imagine the backwards epg won't populate though.

Graham,
    When my HDR-1000S is connected via a French IP and not using a VPN or SmartDNS the backward EPG still correctly populates.

Yes there are advantages a smart SmattDNS has over a VPN (Speed direct traffic route via indirect + no need to encrypt/decrypt which a VPN does.

A proxy is not possible to setup on the HDR-1000S. It might just be possible to use one via a PC acting as a default gateway and some port redirection but it would be complex and slower than a smartDNS.

There is also my expensive fast satellite link which comes with a UK IP address.

| Wed 22 Apr 2015 12:33:35 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Shiralco

SmartDNS looks the best bet, although I think I may be on a hiding to nothing anyway, as I just measured my BB speed and it varies between 1.2 and 1.5 Meg. - far too slow I think for any streaming.

| Wed 22 Apr 2015 15:30:40 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

My ADSL speed is about 2 Meg hence the additional satellite 20 Meg connection and a router with complex routes setup.

| Wed 22 Apr 2015 15:53:27 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.