My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

iOS app update question

(36 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

I presume no major changes from the first version ?

Silly question, but I don't suppose this latest update will allow me to use the app to set recordings on a booted and un-paired box over the same network ? (So basically while I'm watching TV)

If I remember correctly certain App remote features work fine on the same network without the need for pairing (changing channel, volume etc) so surely it should be possible for it to communicate directly with the box to set a simple recording !

Anticipating a reply explaining in detail why that isn't possible or asking why Freesat should bother.......

Maybe Freesat could bring out another App, a Non-Remote record App that has a fully functional remote and it allows users to set recordings from the single channel App Guide, Coming Soon and Showcase (if on same network) without the need to pair it (with server) and put up with the annoying and un-Eco-friendly constant booting day and night !

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 8:30:44 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

The reason you need to have the app paired is because all recordings are set via the Freesat ID server as this I suppose this helps them collect certain viewer data which they've never been able to do so before.
    You can set recordings using the app without being paired using the remote control function, which is just the same as you do without the app.
    I suppose from Freesats point of view the whole point of the app for setting recordings is for use while your not at home. Also they possibly also assumed that everyone would keep their apps paired to their boxes.
    Your request of being able to set recordings while on the same network with an unpaired app is a good idea so maybe passing on feedback to Freesat would be a good thing to do.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 9:10:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Thanks, so when you say

"You can set recordings using the app without being paired using the remote control function, which is just the same as you do without the app."

I take it that means getting the standard box EPG on TV and then pressing the Apps left, right, up, down, select etc to get the record option on the TV ?

The only reason to do that would be if you didn't have the remote or the batteries were dead etc. It isn't really using the App to set recordings.

As for Freesat collating Data from the App , they could still do that without the App or box being paired.

"Your request of being able to set recordings while on the same network with an unpaired app is a good idea so maybe passing on feedback to Freesat would be a good thing to do."

It seems like a no brainer to me, I suppose I would need to e-mail them as I don't Tweet or FB etc.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 9:44:15 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, so when you say
    "You can set recordings using the app without being paired using the remote control function, which is just the same as you do without the app."
    I take it that means getting the standard box EPG on TV and then pressing the Apps left, right, up, down, select etc to get the record option on the TV ?
    The only reason to do that would be if you didn't have the remote or the batteries were dead etc. It isn't really using the App to set recordings.
    As for Freesat collating Data from the App , they could still do that without the App or box being paired.
    "Your request of being able to set recordings while on the same network with an unpaired app is a good idea so maybe passing on feedback to Freesat would be a good thing to do."
    It seems like a no brainer to me, I suppose I would need to e-mail them as I don't Tweet or FB etc.

Could be handy for anyone with a box in a cupboard or anywhere it's hard to point a ir remote at the box. In a remote room using a rf link or long HDMI cable for instance.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 9:55:29 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

I know the reason for the pairing/sever/frequent startups etc (REMOTE RECORDING.)

BUT all the other AV apps (Panasonic/Yamaha) I have are pretty much fully functional over the same network. As recording is the major reason for having a PVR/HDR it seems odd to me that users can't use the App to set a recording over the same network. (Unless paired)

I agree that those who watch TV in their house with the box at a remote location would find it useful if the record programme function actually worked and a standard fully functional remote on the App would be very useful too.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 10:18:23 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Pairing the box allows Freesat to collate the collected viewing data with the user id and with tablet use of the Freesat app by the same user, building up a very valuable profile on the user. And it ensures they've got the user's consent to do this, so no trouble over privacy infringement.

I can see why Freesat would like to encourage pairing, I just don't understand why they have to collect the data so frequently - if that is indeed the cause of the fifteen-minute boot.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 10:36:55 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

JamesB - 7 minutes ago  » 

Pairing the box allows Freesat to collate the collected viewing data with the user id, building up a very valuable profile on the user. And it ensures they've got the user's consent to do this, so no trouble over privacy infringement.
    I can see why Freesat would like to encourage pairing, I just don't understand why they have to collect the data so frequently - if that is indeed the cause of the fifteen-minute boot.

With the possible exception of recordings set remotely I doubt freesat are collecting any STB useage data.

It would take resouces and additional expertise they don't have.

The need to connect frequently is simply to check the remote server where remore recording settings are stored.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 10:50:10 #7 |
  8. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

REPASSAC - 11 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 7 minutes ago  » 

Pairing the box allows Freesat to collate the collected viewing data with the user id, building up a very valuable profile on the user. And it ensures they've got the user's consent to do this, so no trouble over privacy infringement.

With the possible exception of recordings set remotely I doubt freesat are collecting any STB useage data.
    It would take resouces and additional expertise they don't have.
    The need to connect frequently is simply to check the remote server where remore recording settings are stored.

They may or may not be currently collecting user data for who's recording what and when etc(even though they do receive it), but they're most definitely collecting data as to how many recordings are set using Showcase recommendations.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 11:06:46 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Don't the indexes of timers and recordings get synced with the app, for paired boxes?

From a Broadcast item:

“We know that Showcase users are hyper-users of television,” said Freesat’s managing director Emma Scott. “The suggestibility that we provide here, particularly if it’s a wildcard or left-field pick does drive viewing. We’re currently comparing that to algorithmic.”

While linear viewing to Freesat has remained constant, on demand traffic has changed in character, 20% coming in through the backwards TV guide rather than direct to the player.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/09/16/freesat-upgrades-showcase-recomendation-engine/

So they've got access to all the relevant usage info, for paired boxes: recordings set and watched on the box, recordings set and watched via the app, and on-demand usage including how accessed - EPG, box player app, or remote app.

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 11:11:37 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Luckily I opted out of this Big Brother, NSA type remote record monitoring app when it first came out, personally I don't want to give Freesat the option of collating and possibly selling data on my viewing habits and know doubt allowing some company to follow my every movements via GPS*.

*Anybody watch Horizon Inside the Dark Web, very interesting programme.

Putting aside the more sinister aspects of this app and the internet as a whole .

It's a simple TV STB App, surely users of this app should have the option to easily record Freesat programmes privately over their own Network ?

| Wed 17 Sep 2014 11:32:43 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.