My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Issue Connecting with Wifi Encryption

(5 posts)
  1. Daedalus

Daedalus

Hi All,
    I've just bought myself a new HDR-2000T Freeview box, and so far love it. I have a problem connecting it to my Wifi network however. I'm using the official Wifi dongle that came with it, and it refuses to connect.

I can get it to connect perfectly when I disable security on my router, and it works great like that, however that's obviously not a permanent solution. I've tried the dongle on my PC as well and it works fine with and without encryption. I've also tried connecting to my phone as a Wifi hotspot with the same results. What all my testing tells me so far is:

- Reception or signal strength isn't an issue as speed is excellent when connected without encryption.
    - The dongle is working perfectly with all types of encryption.
    - The box cannot connect to the router, no matter what type of encryption I set.
    - The router doesn't seem to be the problem as another network has the same issue.
    - I shorteed the SSID and password in case these were an issue, no improvement.

So, has anyone come across this before, and if so how did you get around it? It works with standard ethernet, no problem, but I can't leave a cable connection like that permanently. I'd like to try and sort this out before I return the box, because I actually like everything else about the box, but if I can't get Wifi working then back to the shop it goes...

Thanks very much for your help!

Rob

| Sat 12 Jul 2014 19:15:59 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Daedalus - 15 hours ago  » 
    Hi All,
    I've just bought I can get it to connect perfectly when I disable security on my router, and it works great like that, however that's obviously not a permanent solution....

....So, has anyone come across this before, and if so how did you get around it?

Not me personally but others have reported that with a Humax box it must be set to just one encryption protocol I.e. the security option chosen with your router must not have "+" in it.

| Sun 13 Jul 2014 10:30:15 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Unlike many I never had an issue with the wifi dongle and Humax units (tested it on a few)

I would start from scratch - reset the 2000T and then try again. One thing worthy of note is do not use any unusual characters or spaces in your router password.

Also there is an issue whereby the unit does not recognise network is connected even though it is, I usually find just entering the internet settings menu and then exit fixes this.

| Sun 13 Jul 2014 10:32:04 #3 |
  4. Daedalus

Daedalus

Thanks Barry And thanks guys for the replies. Yeah, I've tried resetting the box, and also tried setting both the SSID and the key to just letters. Interestingly, when I was trying various different encryption types, a couple were incorrectly detected by the box which could be another symptom of the problem.

I have it working with an ethernet bridge at the moment, but it's quite annoying to not be able to use a feature of the box which I paid extra for.

| Sun 13 Jul 2014 13:46:19 #4 |
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus

Just thought I'd update you all on this. Got fed up trying to get Wifi working so I brought it back to the store where I bought it. We tried it in-store and the same problems occurred. But when we tried the display model, it seemed to work ok, so they swapped my box for a new one. Brought it home and tried it... And at first I had the same problems but shortening the SSID allowed this one to work where the first one didn't. So I'm a happy bunny

Bottom line: I ended up with a faulty box. The new box works well and once you don't use spaces in SSID or use WEP-128 encryption, it connects solidly and reliably.

Thanks!

| Sat 19 Jul 2014 12:01:56 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.